Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #15

Ditto on the EASY and also for us no extra space for Portable Gen
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #16

One of the other families that 'boondocks' with us has a 31' Class C MH and they also carry a Honda generator to use. For them it is not a big deal to bring/use the Honda. Most of the time they are hauling a trailer with 4 wheelers, extra fuel, BBQ and other 'needed' items. Their thoughts are that it is better to use the Honda rather then the MH generator, that it is easier to refuel the Honda and not have to deal with the MH fuel. Being that we are out for up to three weeks at a time, this makes sense for them. One up side to the Honda, if the wind changes direction, you can move it down wind vary easily. Not so with the MH.
We have not seen any 'down sides' to them using the Honda. So to answer the OP's question, it depends on what you expect from the MH generator and the stand along one. If you are towing a trailer with other items on it then bring the generator, bit if you have to store it on/in the MH then I would say 'no'.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #17

It wouldn't be that difficult. I personally would never use a portable one unless I was forced to camp in an area that would make the Onan impossible to run since it's a bit loud. If that was the case I would strap it to a hitch carrier and lock everything up. Then you could simply hook up the power cord to it as needed. I would get one that could at least run one AC unit though.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
...... that it is easier to refuel the Honda and not have to deal with the MH fuel.
Not following you on that point.... Easier to have to keep lifting a 5 gallon gas can and keep refilling a portable, than to simply let the onboard generator draw from the big tank on the MH ? Even might be a safety issue, if the gas was spilled during
one of the refueling sessions.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Not following you on that point.... Easier to have to keep lifting a 5 gallon gas can and keep refilling a portable, than to simply let the onboard generator draw from the big tank on the MH ? Even might be a safety issue, if the gas was spilled during
one of the refueling sessions.
Our friend has a setup that the generator sits in, so if there was spill it is contained in the pan. Easy to clean up. Yes both the pan and the generator are grounded. Being that we are usually quite a distance from any place, not using the MH fuel just means that he does not have to deal with putting fuel in the MH. His Honda has a 1-2 gal fuel tank and he usually gets about 8 hours running time, when he uses it. Since we also generally have the 4 wheelers with us, after topping off the 4 wheelers, he puts what fuel is left in the fuel can in the generator. Hence he is not always dealing with 'full' fuel cans to refuel the generator.
I know that this is not 'ideal' for everyone, but it works for him. Also it is a lot easier to 'service' the Honda generator then the one in the MH. At least for him.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
His Honda has a 1-2 gal fuel tank and he usually gets about 8 hours running time, when he uses it.
With that kind of run time on just 1.5 gallons of fuel, we can't be talking very much power being generated here......
Seems to me for something like battery charging, better to run the big generator 1 hour instead of a little one
for 8 hours ....... But that's just me.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
With that kind of run time on just 1.5 gallons of fuel, we can't be talking very much power being generated here......
Seems to me for something like battery charging, better to run the big generator 1 hour instead of a little one
for 8 hours ....... But that's just me.
Well he runs the heater, lights, TV/DVD and at times a small indoor electric space heater to conserve on propane. Guess that he is also charging the batteries. It seems that the newer Honda's are very fuel efficient.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
So using what info you posted, I could save 3 gals of fuel by using the Honda!
If the Onan has an Energy Command unit or other AutoStart attached to it you would usually save the most using the Onan in AutoStart Mode. Many new coaches have some form of AutoStart on them that does not require the generator to be left running all the time and only starts it when the AC is calling or the batteries need charging. It also allows quiet times to be set so the generator will come on to charge up the batteries before hand.

I installed the Energy Command unit myself in my coach some years ago and it cost me slightly over $100 maybe $120 to do so. It has payed for itself in fuel savings and convenience many times over since then.

The addition of a Genturi Exhaust stack also adds to the quiet. I have the Gold low rpm Onan and not the high rpm one that runs at about twice the revolutions.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
This is a great thread. I had been thinking the same question, as I have an ONAN 7000. Kinda noisy. I would NOT like to pick up and down the Honda (weak back).

So.... the Genturi acts like a muffler ?? That would be an improvement.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
This is a great thread. I had been thinking the same question, as I have an ONAN 7000. Kinda noisy. I would NOT like to pick up and down the Honda (weak back).

It does reduce the outside noise some, but if you are in the coach you still hear the same hummm.
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
It does reduce the outside noise some, but if you are in the coach you still hear the same hummm.
Another benefit is that it takes the exhaust fumes and puts them out up above the coach where they won't bother anyone.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Another benefit is that it takes the exhaust fumes and puts them out up above the coach where they won't bother anyone.
I tailgate at football games and they require them in the RV lots at Clemson!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #27

Another consideration is that the Onan will need to run under load fairly often whether camping or just to keep it in top condition. They sit and they become troublesome.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post

The 1995 Onan Emerald 7000 I had on my previous coach was not enclosed like the Marquies Gold so they are a bit mechanincally noisier however there are still not as bad as the high rpm entry level generators that spin twice as fast. The Genturie helps make the exhaust noise more muted and does a good job of keeping the fumes from blowing back under your coach.

Lining the area around the generator with DynoMat or similar engine compartment sound deadening material can also help. Lining the doghouse with it also made a big improvement when driving lowering the noise levels inside. I invited a friend to tell me what he thought about the difference and after we chatted a few minutes this told the entire story, he asked me to start the engine up so he could hear what the DynoMat had done for me even though it had been running the whole time he was there.

The Energy Command unit that starts the generator automatically to charge the batteries and run the AC gave me some substantial savings and more than paid for itself the first time we dry camped for several days. We just set it and do not have to worry about it for the length of our stay. Thermostat calles for AC and the generator starts and runs until a few minutes after the AC shuts off. The generator will automatically come on before the quiet hour and top off my batteries for the night even when I have forgotten or lost track of time. It can also be set up to automatically take over when there is a blackout keeping your coach comfortable which is great if you travel with pets that are not acclimated to hot weather.