RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Generator wonít stay on unless I manually control choke

Iíve been running into generator problems for a while. Now I see the culprit is my carb/choke. I have a emerald plus Onan 4000 genset. Now the gen wonít start unless I fiddle with the choke with a rod holding it closed Slightly open. As of now itís running hands free choke wide open. It now even starts up all by itself after the warm up. What was the initial problem here???
Chieftain27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

Sounds like you have a dirty carb. Plugged jets/passages can cause stuff like this.
OhioPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #3

Easy fix when you're having that problem.....with it running, find the throttle rod and rev up the gen some and while holding throttle, close the choke manually till gen starts to slow down, then release choke....might take a couple of times, then release the throttle.......the added rpm will suck thru any jet debris.......
Old 09-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

At cold startup the choke should be mostly closed. If you have to close it manually, its out of adjustment or bad.

If it runs fine warmed up, its not a dirty carburator.

There may be a bi-metal choke spring that closes the choke. It also has a heater in it to open it once running.

Follow the link from the choke plate on the carb to find it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

How long has the gen been sitting since last used?
Old 09-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
How long has the gen been sitting since last used?
This has been an ongoing issue. Some days it would work some days not. I havenít had it turn on successfully for over 4 months now. It seems like it couldíve been dirty but what twinboat says makes a lot of sense too.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
At cold startup the choke should be mostly closed. If you have to close it manually, its out of adjustment or bad.

If it runs fine warmed up, its not a dirty carburator.

There may be a bi-metal choke spring that closes the choke. It also has a heater in it to open it once running.

Follow the link from the choke plate on the carb to find it.
When found do I adjust?
Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

Take air cleaner off.....manually open and close choke while watching the shaft that the butterfly is attached to.....the choke housing is on one end of that shaft......the cover on that housing is what you adjust....by rotating to add a little more tension on the spring inside that housing cover..the cover could have marks on it, so look and see if it does, before loosening that covers hold down screws....
Old 09-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #9

Note.....no need to fully remove choke hold down screws....just back them off a little....
Old 09-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #10

If its a round choke, look close for marks and arrows in it. Turn it towards rich one or 2 marks. If the choke valve closes a bit, try it there.

If you go to much you get a very rich mixture at startup and that can foul up the spark plugs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, generator