Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

Generator Won't Start - Engine Won't Crank

Hey guys - this forum has saved me before, so let's try again.

I'm camped at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, finishing up the IndyCar weekend here. Done for the day, back in the coach and now I have an issue. Here's the details:

- 1999 Beaver Monterey, diesel pusher
- I was running the A/C and the TV, and when I fired up the microwave to heat up a sandwich, the power popped off and everything stopped

- now, the Onan generator won't restart, and the coach engine won't even crank when I turn the key
- am I missing a breaker somewhere?

- lights still work in coach
- more than 1/4 tank of fuel
- dash lights are on with key on indicating power, and house battery connect doesn't help - coach won't crank to start

Can anyone help with diagnostics?
Rob Howden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Rob......If that happened to my coach, I'm not sure where I would start. One thing at a time. I would check to see if I had 12VDC at the starter relay when the ign sw was accuated. .......and if the starter was getting 12VDC....if so, it should start. I'm not familiar with your coach.....some Beaver Monterey, diesel pusher owners need to chime in.... Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Kind of along shot, but the main house fuse may have blown, and the batt's to the starter are dead. The crossover switch gets power from the house batt's so if the fuse has blown and the chassis batt is low it would prevent the house batt's from helping the chassis.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

None of the fuses in the fusebox in the bedroom are blown.

The generator won't even start from the manual starter button on the unit, itself.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

The fuse would be in the battery compartment. But the house lights being on says that it is the chassis fuse.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rob.....are your jacks disabled, as well? If Yes, then if you have a 12VDC Distribution Panel (most MH have this), in the Bay near the house batteries and the Inverter. There is a 50 amp circuit breaker, lower right hand side, located on the backside of the board, that feeds the Ginny and the Jacks. There is a small lever that drops down when the breaker trips. you cannot see it from the front, but you can feel it. Check that. Rook

12v,120v power system all models.pdf

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 08-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

UPDATE: An RV neighbor at the track has provided 15 amp power, so everything is working in the coach again. The microwave, which triggered the total loss of power, works fine.

My batteries were dying this weekend, for sure, but I kept the generator on and put a trickle charger on them, running off a plug in the lower storage bay.

I'm hoping the power I have now will help charge the house batteries. I'm leaving the AC off right now to allow for all the power to go to the charge.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Hope the charge is what was needed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Rob.....are your jacks disabled, as well? If Yes, then if you have a 12VDC Distribution Panel (most MH have this), in the Bay near the house batteries and the Inverter. There is a 50 amp circuit breaker, lower right hand side, located on the backside of the board, that feeds the Ginny and the Jacks. There is a small lever that drops down when the breaker trips. you cannot see it from the front, but you can feel it. Check that. Rook

Attachment 101888
Yes, the jacks will not rise at all at this time either. I'll look into the 12VDC Distribution Panel.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #10

I checked all of the fuses in the battery bay, and they're all good. If there is a breaker for the 12VDC, I don't know where it is with the Beaver.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my coach, the 12volt Distribution Panel has a plastic cover over it, about 8X12X5 inch. This cover has to be removed, 2 screws, to access the 150 amp circuit breaker mounted behind the panel. See the schematic of the board that I sent. Rook

Tags
engine, generator