I made three total mistakes, but only two with this post. First, I should have labeled the original post "FYI". Second, in the interest of brevity, I merged two troubleshooting events into one. The third mistake was the error I made that caused a need for the second event.
The events were...
When I first pulled the GFCI from the wall, I found the two wires that had separated from the device. I reinstalled them and noticed the other two connections were loose. Tightened all four and, after testing, reinserted the device in the wall. Still failed!
Removed the device again (second event), and found it to function normally. Also found the ground connection loose (should have checked it the first time). Tightened it. Case closed. Has worked well for a day now. Maybe not conclusive, but better than not working at all.
I decided to post this because I've seen quite a few GFCI related issues out there and just wanted to offer a possible solution.
'07 Bounder Diesel 38N
'08 Jeep Liberty Pusher