Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #1

gfi tripped, won't reset

After a night of rain the gfi in the coach tripped when we turned the coffee pot on. The only things on the circuit at the time we the pot an my cell charger. All other circuits are still working, tv's fridge,ac etc. The are two plugs outside the coach, with one being in the equipment bay the other outside. It is a 96 Damon ultrasport 3010.
We had no problems yesterday so I am guessing the rain may be to blame. We are in an older state park, but the power posts are fairly new.

Should I be concerned when it comes time to head home?
Grateful for any help.
Old Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it's rained that much the outside plug has to got really wet it a dead short for it to trip like that if you can dry it out some how it might start holding or the gfic might have went bad but my bet would on wet plug
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
GFCI's go bad too.. could be the moisture in the air and corrosion. I would change it out, personally
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
More than likely a wet outlet outside.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the patio outlet first- plug in something/anything, and then check the blades on the plug when you pull it out. If there is moisture, there's the problem.

A hairdryer on low, or a fan, or even plugging your something/anything in and out multiple times (wiping off the blades each time) will dry your outlet

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

they are only a few bucks..........replace it.......they do go bad, at the same time replace any hardend or bad gaskets
leadfoot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Thought my GFI for bath kitchen circuit had gone bad. Nothing would work and would not reset. Went down and bought replacement fixture. When I pulled the existing fixture I fould a wire disconnected, and we had been sitting in the same place for 2 months, mh had not moved. Reconnected the wire and everything has been working fine for 3 months now. Have a spare GFI!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Thought my GFI for bath kitchen circuit had gone bad. Nothing would work and would not reset. Went down and bought replacement fixture. When I pulled the existing fixture I fould a wire disconnected, and we had been sitting in the same place for 2 months, mh had not moved. Reconnected the wire and everything has been working fine for 3 months now. Have a spare GFI!
Same story. Mine was a green ground wire. I too have a spare GFI.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wires will come loose a little tension on them and screw not tight and the normal walking around
Old 08-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #10

Got her home last night, and plugged it in at the house. Thought I would push the reset one more time. Bad mistake. It shot sparks and let the magic smoke out of the outlet and tripped for the last time. Looks like a new gfi in my future.
Old Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #11

As mentioned above: water, loose wires, bad GFI.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
GFCI's go bad too.. could be the moisture in the air and corrosion. I would change it out, personally
I have found that breakers ('specially GFIs) get weaker with age and the number of times they are tripped. I had one of a pair of 50A breakers for the ACs refuse to hold after it tripped 2X. I had the same happen at a home in AZ that was under a roof outside but got wet from a misaimed sprinkler. It tripped and was so weak, it couldn't handle more than an 8-10 A load (my edger).

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote