Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Norcold that I would like to sell listed in the classifieds for what I think is a reasonable price, but no interest so far. Any takers?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #16

50% will think I'm stupid but after careful research and consideration I am going to keep my Norcold and go with an Amish cooling unit. My ice cream is a little soft but that's how we like it anyways... Beer goes in my compartment refrigerator and it is ice cold!
Very concerned about the possibility of a fire so we have to do something. Amish or Samsung. The doors on my Norcold are covered with panels that match my cabinetry, going with black or stainless will just simply not look like it was done by factory.
Anyways..
1- cabinetry match.
2- price for Amish cooling unit vs Samsung about the same
3- eliminate risk of fire
4- runs on LP gas
5- no cabinets to modify (aqua hot coil under fridge)

Just seems to make more sense to keep my Norcold...
The only better option, a new coach!!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #17

Burned up motherboard in a residential frig--can you say "modified sine wave inverter?????" Sorry, I did mention the word "burned" but only with regard to the motherboard--hope I didnt offend anyone.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No inverter

It was in a sticks&bricks house. No inverters involved. Just a bad design executed even more poorly.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
rumors, hype, and the same photos posted of a fire
wonder why there is a class action suit against norcold with so many participants?
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Gee... ya'll have to be such downers? He likes his 3 way! He didn't ask/tell you to have one. Thanks Wa8yxm for seeing the post for what it was and responding nicely.
X2
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post

50% will think I'm stupid but after careful research and consideration I am going to keep my Norcold and go with an Amish cooling unit. My ice cream is a little soft but that's how we like it anyways... Beer goes in my compartment refrigerator and it is ice cold!
Very concerned about the possibility of a fire so we have to do something. Amish or Samsung. The doors on my Norcold are covered with panels that match my cabinetry, going with black or stainless will just simply not look like it was done by factory.
Anyways..
1- cabinetry match.
4- runs on LP gas

If you listen to Muddypaws, there is no risk of fire except for the only one that has happened and posted on the Internet 4000 times.

With that information it sure takes the wind out of sails for that Class Action suit filed by the attorneys.

Plus I would NEVER pay $7000 for any Dometic RV Refrigerator or for that matter any RV fridge.

I am a very happy camper with over two years of great service from my Samsung which is extremely quiet compared to the NotSoCold which had 8 fans running 24/7 and it still didn't keep the food from spoiling.

BTW, the temps I have been getting consistently for the fridge have been 36F-38F and for the freezer -9F-0F.

JMTCW

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
rumors, hype, and the same photos posted of a fire
wonder why there is a class action suit against norcold with so many participants?
I found similar class action suits against Samsung (and others) because of relays in their residential refrigerators catching fire. And dozens of other problems and design flaws.

But this is old news and has been hashed out dozens of times here. I posted the statistics I found with links to the sources a couple of years ago. I'm not interested in doing all that work again to defend my choice. I don't need to it's my money and my choice. Your money, your choice.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
It is a dometic sidewise, side by side, huge storage. However I don't think they are offering them anymore, instead they have the elite, don't know the amt of storage but it sure looks nice. Three way is nice, works on 120, 12 volt and propane. This fridge originally cost (are you sitting down?) $7,000.
Oh wow! Yes, I would have fixed it too! Pics please.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I'm with you!

The residential (GE Profile) we had burned a hole in it's motherboard twice before we got rid of it. Paid $2300, sold for $250 less than 3 years later.

Our Norcold is virtually silent, but the new residential in our S&B can be heard almost anywhere in the house. I can't imagine having a one running less than 15 feet from the bed in our Bounder. Nor do I want to run the genset every day when boon-docking to support the demands of an energy hungry appliance.

In 40+ years of RVing I still have never seen a refer fire first hand. Just rumors, hype, and pictures posted on the net of the same fire over and over and over.

I've modified mine to make it more efficient. It cools down to 34F in less than 24 hours when we take the coach out of storage, recovers faster from being left open, and my freezers are almost always -15 to -18F. Total expense of mods was about $20.

I wish I could get our residential lower than 40!
guess I'm the rumor monger all over the internet. Must be the pictures of my mh 4000 times over and over. How about you go look at the picture section of this forum and look at mine. You might find it interesting. By the way norcold has found a few states that have a weird law that they can wiggle out of responsibility. I could never sleep again in a mh that had an absorption refer. Also I had never seen a fire caused by the refer until mine at 2am in our campground.
I was a firefighter in so fl for 30 yrs and this fridge fire really sucked ; burned up the one we wanted to keep.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I'm with you!

The residential (GE Profile) we had burned a hole in it's motherboard twice before we got rid of it. Paid $2300, sold for $250 less than 3 years later.

Our Norcold is virtually silent, but the new residential in our S&B can be heard almost anywhere in the house. I can't imagine having a one running less than 15 feet from the bed in our Bounder. Nor do I want to run the genset every day when boon-docking to support the demands of an energy hungry appliance.

In 40+ years of RVing I still have never seen a refer fire first hand. Just rumors, hype, and pictures posted on the net of the same fire over and over and over.

I've modified mine to make it more efficient. It cools down to 34F in less than 24 hours when we take the coach out of storage, recovers faster from being left open, and my freezers are almost always -15 to -18F. Total expense of mods was about $20.

I wish I could get our residential lower than 40!
It sounds like you've had as bad luck with res fridges as we've had wit RV ones. I guess it's all about experience. We've never had any issues with res fridges for the exception of a sticky ice maker door and I'm talking about a handful of refrigerators.

This is the one we have: Frigidaire Gallery 22.6 Cu. Ft. French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator It is so quiet, the only reason I know it's on is because the digital display is on. Not sure how much yours draws, but this one is rated at 8.5A. That is, of course, the max rating. This thing seems well designed and very well insulated so I expect minimal loss through the seals, etc.

If your residential fridge does not go lower than 40 then it needs repair.

I've been wanting to do a test to see how long ours will actually last on batteries. That, of course, would be at a rate of opening/closing the doors at maybe every hour or so to simulate normal use. In which case, if you are boondocking, you would watch that closely.

One thing for sure, I trust residential refrigerators to be on 100% of the time. I tried that with one Dometic that lost a thermistor, went on full throttle, and shutdown....lost all food. Another Dometic unit........

BTW, I have talked to a couple of GT owners with burnt electronics within the fridge and microwave...they have now invested in a surge protectors. You can't blame the manufacturer for bad power.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I have a Norcold that I would like to sell listed in the classifieds for what I think is a reasonable price, but no interest so far. Any takers?
Take it all apart and sell if for parts....they are in high demand
Old 05-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #27

This is the first I've ever heard of refrigerators causing fires! Now I'm getting paranoid...how common is this? Can you tell it's about to catch fire before it does??
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Anyways..
1- cabinetry match.
4- runs on LP gas

It's not about being stupid or not. It's all about preference and if you are happy with it then more power to you.

I'm just glad we are able to express our opinions here without anyone getting upset.

IMHO, something doesn't seem right with comparing Amish vs. Samsung when it comes to technology. Jus'sayin

Tags
fridge