RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #1

Glad I stuck with our 3 way fridge

Out dometic sidewise fridge hasn't been working right for about a year. Finally we called in a tech and the fans in the fridge and the freezer were not working. We had almost gotten a residential but the tech told us that this fridge is worth more for resale and you can boondock with it, which we never do anyway. To make a long story short, all the fans are replaced for less than $300, the whole fridge had to come out to do it, and what a difference, my ice cream is now rock hard and everything is working great. I am glad I did not give up on it. This fridge is 14 cubic feet and has loads of space. Think twice before you give up on your rv fridge.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #2

I have to admit that the residential fridge was the first thing that sold us on our new RV...well, that and then DW saw the bunks.

Can't tell you how many times we had a nice cold Dometic fridge when we started our journey only to find out that it stopped working hours later. I would then have to take time to trouble shoot it and hope I had the part to fix it. Same thing in a couple of RVs. Forget about ice cream for the kids.

Now, we don't worry about a thing. While on the road the inverter kicks on to support the fridge. We don't have to worry about LP or anything. The only time we've boondocked (Wallydocked) the batteries more than held up all night.

Now, if we were boondockers and in areas where running a genset would be rude then it wouldn't be as easy as having an RV fridge.

Glad to hear you got yours working, but we would never go back.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd love a 14 CUBIC FOOT box.

Yes, The danger with the absorption cooling units like yours is this, A small percentage have caught fire. Of course this has been known to happen with Residential units too (Though a much lower percentage).

Of course there is also danger if the food gets too warm when you are towing and do not have power to the compressor unit on a traditional fridge, or run out of battery for your inverter while towing, and the temps get up into say 50's or 60's and frankly.. I think that is the greater danger.

So I agree with your decision.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

You have a 3way 14cu ft refr?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Had 3 RV fridges, and now a Maytag residential, will never go back to an RV fridge!
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Had 3 RV fridges, and now a Maytag residential, will never go back to an RV fridge!
Next best thing would be an induction cooktop (once they come down in price), a dishwasher instead of the oven (convection micro is good enough).
Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Manufacturer and model number please. I'd sure like to know who makes a 14 cu ft. Three-Way RV Fridge these days.

It would be valuable enough to put into the RV Hall of Fame when you're done with it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
when my dometic craps out- a Samsung or equivalent will be installed. we never boondock- too many electronics on board and with 17,500 watt generator- plenty of power- for everyone that wants to plug into us
Old 05-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad you are happy. I was never happy with my Dometic. Never cold enough and always having to tinker or worse to get it to work half way right.

Put Samsung 197 in last Fall and never happier. It runs all the time, in storage, travelling or at campground. Always -2 and +38 and no frost no muss. I now have time to dinker with other stuff, like genset starting issues.

If I wanted or needed to boondock for a day or so, no problem. It is well documented that the Samsung will work on MSW inverters and will stay cold a long time if you don't open the doors too often. JMTCW.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
Glad you are happy. I was never happy with my Dometic. Never cold enough and always having to tinker or worse to get it to work half way right.

Put Samsung 197 in last Fall and never happier. It runs all the time, in storage, travelling or at campground. Always -2 and +38 and no frost no muss. I now have time to dinker with other stuff, like genset starting issues.

If I wanted or needed to boondock for a day or so, no problem. It is well documented that the Samsung will work on MSW inverters and will stay cold a long time if you don't open the doors too often. JMTCW.

John
Dometic should have given me an honorary doctorate for having to tinker with those darn things so much.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Dometic should have given me an honorary doctorate for having to tinker with those darn things so much.
Norcold should give every owner a huge fire extinguisher
Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gee... ya'll have to be such downers? He likes his 3 way! He didn't ask/tell you to have one. Thanks Wa8yxm for seeing the post for what it was and responding nicely.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

It is a dometic sidewise, side by side, huge storage. However I don't think they are offering them anymore, instead they have the elite, don't know the amt of storage but it sure looks nice. Three way is nice, works on 120, 12 volt and propane. This fridge originally cost (are you sitting down?) $7,000.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Happy with mine.

I'm with you!

The residential (GE Profile) we had burned a hole in it's motherboard twice before we got rid of it. Paid $2300, sold for $250 less than 3 years later.

Our Norcold is virtually silent, but the new residential in our S&B can be heard almost anywhere in the house. I can't imagine having a one running less than 15 feet from the bed in our Bounder. Nor do I want to run the genset every day when boon-docking to support the demands of an energy hungry appliance.

In 40+ years of RVing I still have never seen a refer fire first hand. Just rumors, hype, and pictures posted on the net of the same fire over and over and over.

I've modified mine to make it more efficient. It cools down to 34F in less than 24 hours when we take the coach out of storage, recovers faster from being left open, and my freezers are almost always -15 to -18F. Total expense of mods was about $20.

I wish I could get our residential lower than 40!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge