Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Gotta replace our 12 VOLT House Battery is 6 VOLT the way to go?

We currently have a 12 volt house battery (which is dead) because I let it completely discharge and didn't maintain it properly
Since I've got to replace it anyway, I am considering replacing it with the Interstate Battery
6-VOLT DEEP CYCLE BCI Group - GC2 GC2-XHD or RV-XHD specifically for the RV
Are there any concerns I should consider before I do this?
Please advise me on the PROS vs CONS to this potential changeover.
Thanks,
Kettrell
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I interpert this as you having a single 12V battery now.
You will need 2 each 6V batteries and the heavy wires to connect them properly.
Make sure you know how to connect them properly - lots of nice how to diagrams are on this site.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Hopefully you'll use 2 6 volt batteries.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
Yes, I will need 2 6 volt batteries. I thought it but I didn't type it so can I get partial credit? Atleast that's the approach I used back in my school days!! I should have been more clear! Thank Goodness It's Friday!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I have decided at this time I am going to stay with 1 Interstate 12 volt battery and install a battery cutoff switch in order to eliminate a drain when I forget and leave something switched on. I've a couple reasons for this decision.

1) We currently do little or no off grid camping and don't plan to do much over the next few years. Therefore can't currently jusitify the added expense.
2) If we changed over to the (2) 6 volt battery system I'd have to add another battery location and I'm not sure where right now.

Once we've retired (approx 4 years), we'll revisit this issue and weigh the pros and cons at that time. Again, I really appreciate the exchange of knowledge, experience and information in these forums!

Kettrell
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skstrickland View Post
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I have decided at this time I am going to stay with 1 Interstate 12 volt battery and install a battery cutoff switch in order to eliminate a drain when I forget and leave something switched on. I've a couple reasons for this decision.

1) We currently do little or no off grid camping and don't plan to do much over the next few years. Therefore can't currently jusitify the added expense.
2) If we changed over to the (2) 6 volt battery system I'd have to add another battery location and I'm not sure where right now.

Once we've retired (approx 4 years), we'll revisit this issue and weigh the pros and cons at that time. Again, I really appreciate the exchange of knowledge, experience and information in these forums!

Kettrell
You are wise to stick with the 12v battery for your rig. You are also right to add a disconnect on it so it won't drain when not in use. I have been doing that for many years now and have never, (knock on wood) had a dead battery.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi skstrickland,
There is another reason you made the correct choice. Weight. The 6 VDC deep cycle batteries weigh quite a bit (60 lbs or so each) There is no need to carry the extra weight if the power is not needed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, replace