Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Gray Tank Input Pipe Broken Off at Tank

We just cut short our first trip this year because we had gray water leaking out the underbelly. After we got home, I got underneath and found the shower/bathroom sink drain pipe connection to the gray water tank cracked completely free, even with the top of the gray tank.

The input pipe is a 2" ABS black plastic pipe that is inserted into a receptacle on the tank that appears to be a glued on. Does anyone know how to either, a) remove the broken off stub of pipe in the gray tank or, b) how to insert and secure a new drain pipe through the existing broken off pipe?

TIA

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

Will a rubber coupling work?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Will a rubber coupling work?
Unfortunately, no. There is nothing to attach to above the gray tank. The input pipe broke off flush with the surface.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #4

1 1/2" ABS will fit inside 2" ABS, leaving a small gap which could be filled with Plumbers Putty: https://www.amazon.com/WM-Harvey-043...s%2C269&sr=8-3

This may work permanently or until you get a better fix.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
This is gonna be long winded. First what caused it to brake. no need doing anything until you understand that. If the cause can be determined and eliminated then ABS Plastic can be welded back together with heat or chemically done. You will need to have room to work all the way around the broken part. There are several good sites on UTube that show various ways to make the repair. here one site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
If you just google "how to weld ABS plastic" you will turn up more that you have time to read.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #6

Well I've implemented a fix by inserting a "splint" piece of PVC into the broken ABS stub left in the gray tank. I actually had to sand off the threads of a PVC adapter fitting to get a tight fit, but there is now about an inch of solid PVC secured in place by 3M 5200. It appears to be a real solid connection and for those who know, 3M 5200 is serious stuff.

I then made a replacement pipe of PVC from the fitting back to where I had sawed off the ABS. Suspecting that it may have been vibration or slight shifting of the gray tank that broke the connection in the first place, I used a 4" rubber pipe coupler to join the new PVC to the sawed off ABS. That removed the issue of gluing PVC to ABS and added protection against vibration and slight shifting.

I'm putting the underbelly cover back in place this morning and we'll see how it goes. Thus far, the factory recommendation was to replace the gray tank, but they may have believed the tank itself was damaged when they said that.

Thanks again to all who contributed.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #7

I have read about people having this sort of issue professionally repaired by "spin welding" a new fitting into the tank. I have no idea what sort of place would do this work though.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #8

Any professional plumber will have a set of specialty bits to bore the broken stub out. After it’s bored, the 2” pipe will glue right back in.

When you put it back add a rubber collar in the section somewhere. This with allow some vibration and prevent another break.

EDIT: Lowe’s has the bit/cutter. They are $14. Eastman fitting saver.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
Any professional plumber will have a set of specialty bits to bore the broken stub out. After it’s bored, the 2” pipe will glue right back in.

When you put it back add a rubber collar in the section somewhere. This with allow some vibration and prevent another break.

EDIT: Lowe’s has the bit/cutter. They are $14. Eastman fitting saver.
Thanks for pointing me to the bit at Lowes. I had glanced around for one at HD, but didn't see it.

I've now tested my "fix" and it appears quite solid. But if I ever do need to replace/repair it, the fitting saver will probably be the only option left short of replacing the entire tank...and I don't even want to think of how much that would cost.

Tags
gray tank, tank