Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #1

Grrrr furnace

An RV furnace is the most frustratingly unreliable abomination devised by mankind. Just had to say that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Uh, ok. Are you needing assistance with something?

I've had RV furnaces in RV's for 22 years & none gave me problems. Maybe I was just lucky.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
YC1

They really are kind of dumb animals if no installations problems such as bad connections or plugged up intake by wasps etc.

They are usually easy enough to diagnose.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
An RV furnace is the most frustratingly unreliable abomination devised by mankind. Just had to say that.
I’ve not had any furnace problems, but I’ll agree with you that if you have trouble, it can be the most frustratingly unreliable abomination devised by mankind.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

I've had RV furnaces in RV's for 22 years & none gave me problems. Maybe I was just lucky.

We must have the same luck with them
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #6

The furnace was working fine in November and early December, but when the deep freeze came...

I think it's the board, which is 29 years old. Always fires but intermittently sustained. Limit switch has been replaced, flame sensor unknown. The plan is to go ahead and replace the board anyway.

I had one of those GasStop gizmos between the MH tank and the regulator; it shut down three times the other night so it's gone.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

You were lucky. They're pretty reliable but intermittent control board problems can induce insanity.

I'm in recovery. I think.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:28 PM   #8

Late to the party but I highly recommend a dinosaur board for any and all replacements (provided they make one for your model)

Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.
MakTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:43 PM   #9

Dinosaur board didn't fix it but since I wanted a spare board anyway no money lost. Ignitor/flame sensor next.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #10
YC1

Have you used a voltmeter on the positive and then the negative wires going into the furnace when it is trying to run.

The load from the fan blower is high and a poor connection along the way along with cold batteries is a recipe for low voltage which can cause all kinds of strange problems.

Your furnace initially firing could be surface charge on the battery being high enough to overcome bad wiring. Once the furnnace fires and is running and then goes off, then recycles on again it might not be enough voltage to satisfy it.

You need a good ground for your voltmeter so run one from the battery or a nearby shiny place that works.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:35 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I ran out of propane once and the furnace would not work.

Most likely it was my problem and not the furnace.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #12

Unhappy

Our Thor has had furnace problems since our first trip in 2016. It rained. The exterior cover was configured incorrectly so the board got wet. Had to use a hair dryer to dry it. That went on the entire trip. Returned home to find a recall on the incorrectly configured cover. Replace cover. That helped unless it was a hard rain and board would get wet.

On our fall trip north it failed completely. We used space heaters the entire trip. A new board has been ordered and installed. I have no idea how long it will last.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:42 PM   #13

An ignitor assembly has appeared at the post office. Onward!
Old 01-31-2023, 08:40 PM   #14

Turns out the ignitor electrodes were on the edge of being too far apart, the burner had many holes excessively restricted, and the orifice had lots of gnat carcasses trapped inside. The problem could have been one or all three. FIXED...for now. I now know what parts to have aboard and what to do with them. It will probably never give a moments problem again.

Tags
ace, furnace