Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have to replace my patio awning :(

Well, my own fault, I didn't check the weather before we left for the graduation on Sunday in SW Kansas, and my cousin wasn't sitting with the pups in the coach as she had been the rest of the trip, left the awning out and anchored, but it's no match for SW Ks 50 mph winds Sunday on Mother's Day, and my awning got torn to shreds. The entire awning and arms were flung over the roof of the coach with the fore support arms torn loose and dangling over the street side of the coach!!

It flew up over the roof and punched a dent in the roof. Luckily an arm didn't smash through a window or punch a hole in the wall or roof or hurt the babies.

I had my brother to climb up on the roof in those winds and cut the fabric loose since the arms and support structure were completely destroyed. Attached are a couple of pics. (Last one was the day before the storm) Dear Cousin Tina (DC Tina) was out helping as well. Ugh, what a mess!

So stupid.

Anyway, left the remains up at my family's home in storage since I had to return yesterday to work. Called the insurance company, but decided to hold off since my deductible is 1,000 and the awning was a manual Sun Chaser Dometic, about 800-900 to replace it.

So I am pricing the replacement myself and came across the Dometic 9100 power awning looks like it is around 200-300 more.

Anyone have any experience with these Dometic 9100's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140511_164101_377.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	62733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140511_164056_371.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	62734  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140510_202256_591.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	62735  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Manual awnings do have some advantages and disadvantages over electrical. You may want to consider the con's of Automatic Awnings, i.e. They flap a lot with no way to stop it, are noisy in light wind, you can not hang decorations on awning or hardware as they retract automatically in high wind, etc.

Awning prices vary with material, number of seams, Vinyl or Cloth, labor, and warrantee.
I recently had my vinyl awning and slide topper replaced with cloth tweed and added white alumaguard to the front awning. I was at a FMCA RV Rally, went with the best quote out of 3, and all the work was done right on site.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to turn it in to my insurance company. An adjuster will be calling today. I left the destroyed awning at my parents in their garage in case they needed to see something.

I know those automatic awnings are more tenuous than the manual ones, but the ease of the button one touch retract is very alluring right now. I would only have it out while I was out there......

Do those things have a fail safe so they won't deploy while traveling?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

I have the A&E electric awning on our current coach and love it. We never leave it out when we are not around, or in windy conditions. There is a wind sensor, but it takes a rather strong sustained wind before it automatically pulls the awning in. The wind sensor is not as reliable as the company would lead you to believe. BTW, if it is too sensitive it can be turned off. We never leave the awning unattended if there is wind in the forecast.

In the rain it is supposed to have a knee action to dump water if it starts to pool on the awning. Again, I usually don't leave it out in a heavy rain so have not experienced that action yet.

On mine there is an ignition interlock and the awning will not extend if the engine is running. I can retract the awning with the engine running, but cannot deploy it.

There is an accessory slot in the roller tube just like manual awnings. I've seen many people tie them down and hang lights and other adornments from the awning. I have a set of flexible hangers that can be rolled up along with the awning if needed.

The statement about it being noisier is correct. Because of the arm placement there is no way to attach any deflapping device. In a moderate wind it may start to bounce a bit and make some flapping noise.

It's really nice during a mild rain to be able to open it from inside the coach before you step out. I also carry the remote with us if we go away. I can leave the awning retracted and use the remote from the car to open it when we return. It's nice not having to stand in the rain fumbling with a key to get back in.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Electric, Automatic whatever never trust them. If you have one that works during wind or rain as they are supposed to you are very lucky. Give me a manual that you can adjust the slant and hang all your tacky stuff on and I will be happy. (and I have one of the so-called automatic awings)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
...Give me a manual that you can adjust the slant and hang all your tacky stuff on and I will be happy.
x2

I know many people who are very happy with their electric awnings; however I prefer my manual as the push-button convenience of an electric doesn't outweigh the stories I've heard about issues with the sensors & it being another thing to fail.

I'm sorry about what happened to yours, Kent. Hopefully ins. will come through for you. Keep us posted.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Manual awnings do have some advantages and disadvantages over electrical. You may want to consider the con's of Automatic Awnings, i.e. They flap a lot with no way to stop it, are noisy in light wind, you can not hang decorations on awning or hardware as they retract automatically in high wind, etc.
True, false false.

True they flap a lot more than manuals, less you stake them down

NO, you can easily hang lights and decorations, I will tell you how

And you can also disable the auto-retract, Again Ill tell you how on one model.

To disable auto-retract, A&E Weather pro-old style with Lighthouse,, There is a switch on the LEFT side of the control box that does this.. Also may take out the auto-retract ignition interface. (not sure). IF you stake it down do this.

To string lights and other decorations.

About 4-6 inches inboard of the roller, Drill two small holes, one in each arm, insert one end of an "S" hook into each of these holes, String a common cloths line between the two "S" hooks, Hang lights, etc, on cloths line (not awning) now if you retract, the decorations and lights will be hanging just below the rolled up awing,, You may need to extend in order to remove and store, but they do not get wound up or tangled up with the awning.

By the way, the name for that piece of cloths line is "Messenger line" in this configuration.. Just so you know.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And a New Roof :(

The adjuster just left and the rubber roof has to be replaced from the damage from the awning arms/rafters puncturing it.

I'm in shock.

Anyone know of a good authorized service center in the DFW area?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

Same thing happend to mine over New Years. I replaced mine with the new Dometic A&E 9500 Case Awning from RV Parts Country.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/AE9500CaseAwning.html
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #10

Hope you can find a reputable shop in your area to get the repairs done quickly and properly.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

BTW any manual can be an electrical awning when used with an electric drill
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #12

I have a Dometic electric awning but it has manual controls. I like it, it just has an in and out button, the arms can be locked in place and adjusted for angle. It doesn't have a rain or wind sensor, but also doesn't have to be wound up and put away- if I'm inside and I see wind coming I can just reach up and close it without even going outside.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
True, false false.

True they flap a lot more than manuals, less you stake them down

NO, you can easily hang lights and decorations, I will tell you how

And you can also disable the auto-retract, Again Ill tell you how on one model.

To disable auto-retract, A&E Weather pro-old style with Lighthouse,, There is a switch on the LEFT side of the control box that does this.. Also may take out the auto-retract ignition interface. (not sure). IF you stake it down do this.

To string lights and other decorations.

About 4-6 inches inboard of the roller, Drill two small holes, one in each arm, insert one end of an "S" hook into each of these holes, String a common cloths line between the two "S" hooks, Hang lights, etc, on cloths line (not awning) now if you retract, the decorations and lights will be hanging just below the rolled up awing,, You may need to extend in order to remove and store, but they do not get wound up or tangled up with the awning.

By the way, the name for that piece of cloths line is "Messenger line" in this configuration.. Just so you know.
Can you post a pic of that? DW laments that we 'can't hang tacky lights and such from our auto awning.'
Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Waiting on Insurance Repair Estimate

Well, the adjuster was out last Thursday on this claim.

Said he'd work over the weekend to get it completed.

As of 0900 this morning still no response from the claims guy, still waiting on the adjuster.

I've never seen this kind of time frame on a repair estimate.

Is this standard timeframe?

Tags
awning, replace