Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Headlight Upgrade

The headlights on my 03 Winnebago Ultimate have always been marginal on low beam. In 2004 I installed HIR1 (9011) bulbs in place of the 9006 low beams and that helped some. Add almost 13 years of travel, and the headlights had yellowed and crazed to the point that even the high beams did not provide comfortable vision for night driving. A few years ago I had discovered Xtreme Paint & Graphics in Nacogdoches TX. They do headlight conversions along with some great fiberglass and paint work. About a year ago I stopped in while we were near by and talked to them about changing the headlights on my 2003 Ultimate. Last November I called and got an appointment for early February. I got the coach back this past week. They did an awesome job, installing Hella headlights with LED turn & side markers. The headlights use the H9 bulb which puts out about twice the lumens as the original 9006 bulbs. Haven't had a chance/need to drive it at night as yet, but I really like the appearance of the end result! The attached pic is a photo-shop combination from the shop of the before and after look.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awesome and looks great!
Researching a similar project...
...Any chance of listing the Hella part numbers used in your project?

Thanks for posting!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
KIX

Paul, That looks really nice. The Hella part numbers would be a super addition to your post. Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I don't have the part numbers. I'll check tomorrow & see if I can come up with them.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Wow! That is a great looking upgrade. How long did they have the coach for? Did you have 3M on the front which needed to be removed and replaced? Approximately how much does a conversion like cost?
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

If you google "Hella 90mm" you'll find a TON of info on Hella lights. (Or just click on my hyperlink.)

Oh yeah, looks great!

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
The lights Tim posted the pics of look like the ones they used. Lo beam label on the back reads 1BL 008 193-02. Hi beam label reads 1KO 008 191-05. The turn signal & very small side marker are stamped "Vehicle Safety Mfg" so they do not appear to be Hella. Both are LED fixtures.

They had the coach exactly 3 weeks. It came out very close to their original estimate of $3,500, which included the lights, fiberglass work, and painting the bottom half of the front end. I had clear coat damage on the top half light tan paint from removing the 3m film several years ago so I had them paint the entire front. That added 2 additional colors and $1k.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Paul

Congrats on doing a headlight upgrade the correct and legal way!

That being said...my coach came stock with the Hella 90mm halogen headlights you now have but, for reasons I never figured out, they were not my idea of great lights. I did a lot of research and wound up replacing mine with identical Hella 90mm canisters that were Xenon/HID.

That being said, I will refer you to Daniel Stern's web site. It has a boat load of info from wiring schemes, voltage checks and headlight alignment.

Also, here is a thread I had on how I replaced my headlights for your amusement. It might help a bit in case you need to go the next step.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I will refer you to Daniel Stern's web site. It has a boat load of info from wiring schemes, voltage checks and headlight alignment.

Also, here is a thread I had on how I replaced my headlights for your amusement. It might help a bit in case you need to go the next step.
Yes, Daniel Stern's site has a wealth of info. I found him in 2004 when trying to make the OEM lights better. I got the HIR bulbs from him. We so rarely drive at night that I didn't take it further then. But after the OEM lights yellowed and one was secured with a bungee cord because it had come loose from the fiberglass, I needed to do something more. Now I need to go for a night drive to see what the new ones do.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Smile

very nice update, adds to the appearance of the coach, and hopefully the night vision. The stock system is like 2 matches in a wind storm
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Finally got a chance to do a night ride to check out the new headlights. Low beam is much better than the original (not frightening to drive anymore!). I drove a two lane highway 10 miles down and back and met many cars with no one "flashing" me so the low beams are apparently aimed well. High beam really lights up down the road, but not much light hits the roadway surface. I suspect they may be aimed just a bit high.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #12

2003 Ultimate Advantage Headlight Upgrade

Awesome job on your upgrade. You inspired me to try something too. I went in a slightly different direction with my 03 Ultimate Advantage. I used a pair of 2014-2016 Acura MDX headlights. It was a lot of work, but they are extremely bright LED lamps, and gives the coach an updated look. Also very functional. The thin strip of daytime running lights across the top seems brighter than the original low beams. The original crown vic headlights were not great at illumination on something this large or that far up off the ground. Not sure how many people are still looking at this post but thought I would share just in case.
May 2018.

Cheers!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	203616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	203617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	203618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	203619  

Dan Machuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Very nice, Dan!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
KIX

Dan, that looks super nice. I’ve had that project on my list for some time. I like the looks of both yours and Pauls upgrades. If you have time Dan could you tell me what you had to do to get such a good fit. Thanks.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, upgrade