Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Heater core is leaking

I believe the heater core in the dash heater has died.

While camping last week we noticed a wet spot on the carpet just to the right of the center console. The couch hadn’t been started for several days, so since that’s where the dog lays we thought the dog did it. But on the way home the carpet started getting very wet. So I think the heater core is the problem not the dog.

I understand the heater core placement in Monaco is pretty similar from about ’97 to ’02.

Has anyone removed and replaced one? Doesn’t sound like fun. Need any and all advice.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #2

Is the fluid slippery like antifreeze?
In this weather I'd be prone to suspect the dash A/C condensate drain being plugged up. Could be a gal. or more sloshing around in the pan. Find the drain line underneath and hit it with a little shot of compressed air.

Agreed, those type of dash repairs are horrid.

Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the idea

I'll give that a try and see if that solves the problem
Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Antifreeze smells like antifreeze, water smells like water. Pee smells like pee, this should be easy. But if you're using your dash air, could well be condensate going where it's not supposed to go.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
heater core

I just replaced mine and although it was a little hard to get to the left hand bolts it went ok. I dropped the door in the front of the coach level ( held it up with a plastic jug ) and put 2x4's on each side and set 2x4's on top of those to make a work platform. Than I could set down to work on it and made it much easier for an old guy. Found that a socket handle with a short extension worked best to get at the left side. Just 4 bolts on mine - two on each side. Once the housing was off the rest was easy and straight forward. The core I got was not the same piping as the original and I had to make a little modification to the housing
Mike
Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
TonyMac

We have ruled out pee. Still debating whether it is water or antifreeze. Need to blow out the condensation tube and see what happens.

Mike

Thanks for the description. Doesn’t sound too hard. If I may ask, where did you find the replacement and what kind of cost am I looking at? Also did you need to disconnect the a/c coolant line or can you move that part out of the way.

Thanks all
Old 08-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
heater core

The cost was about $175 plus shipping and came from https://www.comfortairgr.com. When you remove the housing and turn it over the ac stays connected to the hoses and can be lifted out. I had some breakage around the housing attachment point sand reinforced it with fiberglass and re drilled the holes where it attached to the firewall
Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike!

Need to tear mine apart to see what I have and if it is indeed the heating side that is leaking

Tags
heat, heater, leak