Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Heater does nothing, water heater does nothing...

I am preparing to sell my RV and wouldn't you know, I was testing the heater furnace today. Always been simple, just turn on at the thermostat, then move the stat to hot. Almost instantly it begins to work then lights. Never a problem. Today it does nothing.
I decided to test the water heater. Same thing, nothing.
The gas tank gauge reads half a tank I think. The stove gas works fine.
Advice needed!
Thanks,
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj3cub View Post
I am preparing to sell my RV and wouldn't you know, I was testing the heater furnace today. Always been simple, just turn on at the thermostat, then move the stat to hot. Almost instantly it begins to work then lights. Never a problem. Today it does nothing.
I decided to test the water heater. Same thing, nothing.
The gas tank gauge reads half a tank I think. The stove gas works fine.
Advice needed!
Thanks,
Sounds like a 12v problem. The furnace fan is 12v and should come on as soon as the thermostat is set. Since it doesn't, that makes me think it's a 12v issue. Same with the water heater. 12v needed to work WH and igniter. Needs 12v to circuit board and DC connections. Does the red light come on in the WH switch indicating a failure to light? If not, 12v issue or board issue, but since the same happens to the furnace, I'd suspect 12v power problem.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I am also thinking 12 volt supply problem and I would think it is a simple blown fuse. I don't know where it would be located.
I have checked the ones in the rear that control the Home inside lights. They are all good. The only other ones I know of are under the dash and on the left entrance at the drivers door.
I have been doing some work with the 12 volts under the dash connecting a power source for my new back up camera and I did pop a fuse.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #4

I looked at your profile and see you have a 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial, 33'. That will be important to all who view this thread. Good idea to add that information to a signature line for help in the future.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with that coach so others will have to chime in. The fact that you were working under the dash, blew a fuse on some other device, and now the water heater and furnace don't appear to have voltage, is a significant clue. Keep us posted, please. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

Thank you again for your assistance. I checked all of the 12 volt fuses that I am aware of and all work. There must be something I am missing. The RV is plugged in and it works on the house batteries as well.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am also thinking 12 volt supply problem and I would think it is a simple blown fuse. I don't know where it would be located.
I have checked the ones in the rear that control the Home inside lights. They are all good. The only other ones I know of are under the dash and on the left entrance at the drivers door.
I have been doing some work with the 12 volts under the dash connecting a power source for my new back up camera and I did pop a fuse.
Fuse don'r blow just by sitting around. Do any other 12 VDC things work like the lights and fridge? May be dead house batteries. Are you plugged into SP?
Inquiring minds want to know.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Fuse don'r blow just by sitting around. Do any other 12 VDC things work like the lights and fridge? May be dead house batteries. Are you plugged into SP?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes everything works like normal. It is plugged into shore.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #8

Are you sure the LP is turned on?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #9

Yes, the stove works and the gas on the refrigerator!
Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #10

Do you have a battery disconnect switch that may have been turned off? Sometimes itís near the entry door or in the battery bay. It can be off and other 12v items will still work since the converter is getting shore power.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #11

I have a battery disconnect in the engine compartment for the engine cranking battery only. I will check it but I am pretty sure it is on.
If I pull the electrical cover off of the heater (which has nothing to do with the water heater) I will have to disconnect the gas intake at that area. Then See what is in there...
Old 12-31-2019, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:
I have a battery disconnect in the engine compartment for the engine cranking battery only. I will check it but I am pretty sure it is on.
If I pull the electrical cover off of the heater (which has nothing to do with the water heater) I will have to disconnect the gas intake at that area. Then See what is in there...
I would bet that you have another switch for disconnecting the house batteries. Normally this is by the main entrance door,,, if this is a class A we're talking about. If it's a class C, then the switch could be anywhere. You might check to make sure and if there is one, that it's turned on.

Yours is an older model so it may be different. You mentioned fuses in the rear. Are these the ones behind your converter panel?
Old 12-31-2019, 08:58 PM   #13

Mudfrog, you are right, I was not thinking about that one. It is above the door, electrical panel. Two push buttons. One Chases and one coach. I had pushed them before to make sure they were on. Did that again tonight. There may be a problem with them. I think it is the coach one red light stays on and I don't believe it is turning off anything in the coach. The Chases light is not on at all (has always been that way for both lights) but I don't believe it is turning anything off.
I will probably need to pull the panel out and check the wires or something??
Thanks,

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Mudfrog, you are right, I was not thinking about that one. It is above the door, electrical panel. Two push buttons. One Chases and one coach. I had pushed them before to make sure they were on. Did that again tonight. There may be a problem with them. I think it is the coach one red light stays on and I don't believe it is turning off anything in the coach. The Chases light is not on at all (has always been that way for both lights) but I don't believe it is turning anything off.
I will probably need to pull the panel out and check the wires or something??
Thanks,

Happy New Year!
Having remote switches for the disconnects, as you apparently have, typically means the actual disconnection/re-connection of the batteries is done via a solenoid. Usually, when you push the buttons, you should hear a "clunk" somewhere in the coach indicating the solenoid has switched.

Listen closely when operating the switch for the house batteries. Can you hear any noise from somewhere that corresponds to each pressing of the button? If not, the problem may be with the solenoid or wiring to the solenoid.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater