Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2023, 01:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Heater element Dometic/Atwood HWH

I have my hot water heater out of the coach to do some floor repair underneath it, so thought I'd change out the electric element and thermostats since they're buried with the unit installed. Can NOT break the element loose. Going to get my big breaker bar involved shortly. Has anyone ever put any heat to that collar to persuade the element to loosen? It's not any different than a home domestic water heater except that it's an aluminum tank. Going back with antiseize compound for sure. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2023, 05:50 PM   #2

Have you sprayed it with PB Blaster or a similar corrosion penetrant? I know the factory torques them very tight.
The heating element is nothing special, merely the short type 120V element, any big box store will have one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:46 PM   #3

On Atwood you can use heat......might melt the gasket but you'll be replacing that with new element

Just remember ...tank threads are aluminum and element threads are steel so they can be 'welded' together due to age & dissimilar metals

With Water Heater removed you will need to strap it down to get good leverage

120VAC 1400W element
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, I think it will take some heat to move this thing, and I'll enlist some help to hold the thing down. Appreciate the input from all.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:57 PM   #5

A light rapping with an impact will be a lot easier on things, you and the tank.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
@shootist You are probably right, and if I can find my 11/2" socket I may just try that. After Ian, most of my tools have succumbed to loss or rust. I have one of those cheap tools sold for home water heaters and as you say, it's a challenge to get leverage and hold the heater at the same time. I haven't gotten back to this project with the holiday weekend going down, but it's time to get back on it! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
If you have a 1/2" breaker bar, just run to a local auto parts store or a Harbor Freight and grab a 1 1/2" socket.

Short extension, if you have one, otherwise grab a 2" or so one from the box store as well.

Probably, all said and done with, under a $20 spot.

I had to do that on our old trailer and it wasn't much money.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:06 PM   #8

1 1/2" socket

But biggest issue with water heater removed is strapping that tank down so you can get leverage w/o tank rotating on you

Those element wrench/sockets are useless even with an installed water heater
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:41 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks guys, I'm a retired career mechanic, and have lots of friends who have tools available to me, and a friend is bringing me a socket and air gun. I've replaced my compressor since the storm, so hopefully I can gently tap this thing out without further drama. I'll let you all know how it ends up!

Tags
atwood, cat, dometic, element, heat, heater, hwh