Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #1

Heater sets off Carbon Monoxide Alarm

I have pulled the burner and fan assy out of the box. There are no visible blockages like wasp nest or dirt dobber nest's that I can see. I cant find any cracks, but I have not taken it all apart. What to look for, what to do? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Wilson & Cathy
jwjetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #2

You might want to check the CO monitor. Never can tell.
oldfart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
How old is the rig. CO alarms should be replaced every 5 years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
84 Chieftain, with the furnace out check all around the burner tubes for rust, holes in tube or splits in tubes. They have replacements but you may want to invest in new furnace.
Could be your detector also.
Welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

IMO even if the detector is outdated then the fact it alarms when the furnace is operating means that combustion fumes are leaking in somewhere and furnace is suspect
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #6

so you gus think the co monitor just wenyt off after I turned the heater on? It has never gone of before or after the heater was turned on I doubt that it is the monitor.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Even if it is a bad monitor, CO is nothing to be trifled with. One of my bosses had an interesting story: When he was a kid, his family had a cottage in the 1000 Islands area of NY. One night his dad woke them up and got them out of the cottage fast. The next morning they all had terrible headaches. It turns out the gas heater they used was malfunctioning. He said they were lucky to get out alive. To this day he does not know why his dad woke up and noticed the problem, but he's glad he did!

You can relatively easily replace your CO monitor if you suspect it is bad, you can buy a good one with a display for about $30-$50 and know exactly how much CO is in your RV. We bought one with a display to use along with the one the RV mfr provided as I am very sensitive to CO and get headaches after very little exposure.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see three possible methods for CO to enter from the heater, Which by the way should not be producing much CO

1: Cracks, smaller than you can see, in the heat exchanger.. This is the most common path.

2: Bad CO detector.. This (Technically) is not the problem.. My CO Detector started doing the "internal failure" Beep.. Pause.... Beep... Pause.....Beep thing last winter. Had to replace it.. Resetting did not fix it

To check for this reset it, if it alarms again in less than 2 minutes.. You have a CO problem.. If not an alarm problem

Clean and adjust your burner too.. Propane if properly burned burns very clean.
3: Blow back from the furnace exhaust.. Can happen under some conditions. The only cure I know of is to park facing the other way so it blows forward instead of back (Forward being away from your rig)
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #9

CO problem found

So I pulled the burner bars out of the can and they were covered with dirt dobber mud. Also the gasket at the electrode is torn.

problem solved!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the follow up jwjetco it always good to know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote