Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

hello, looking for a solar battery charger for our new-to-us '99 trop-cal

hello,

i am looking for a solar battery charger for our new-to-us '99 trop-cal.

the roof top charger does not seem to work too well. seems to have read about this being a problem for some other folks with similar units.

looked for a FAQ about this...looked at CW website and the choices seem a bit bewildering...tried browsing the posts...

...thanks to this website i read somewhere that you have to be careful not to over charge your batteries/you need to have the correct size watt solar charger/need to watch the water level/ use distilled water/etc.

i would appreciate some insight and suggestion to keeping my batteries happy.

breathe, relax and enjoy.
smilingecko, aka kenneth & my better half teresa
www.neverforgetbeslan.org
smilingecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Nine times out of ten its the circuit board portion of the solar charging kit. Replaceable.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is your interest in a solar charger for use while the rig is in non-electric storage for the winter, or just for normal chassis battery maintenance?

If the latter, I would recommend the Trik-L-Start.

It maintains your chassis battery from the house batteries, so that while you're plugged in to shore power or on the gennie, you always have a proper maintenance charge keeping up your starting batteries. No risk of overcharging.

About $50, IIRC. Its worked great for us, and I believe its now being offered as an option on new coaches.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar