Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
HELP. Atwood Level Leg control board DEAD

Just learned my Level Leg control board is dead. Been advised, new boards are no longer available, and electronics shops are unable to repair them. Calls to salvage yards are laughing saying no. Already sold what we had some time ago.

Suggestions....entire new systems running $4K.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you hooked up the control board directly to 12v to be sure it's not an issue with one of the interlock switches? (Trans in park, parking brake on)

Instead of spending $4K, you could perhaps make a new control board yourself or have someone do it for you. It wouldn't auto level, but 4 DPDT switches could be wired to run each jack up and down. Of course solenoids and indicator LEDs would also have to be included, but it would sure beat having to remove and install a whole new system!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Have you hooked up the control board directly to 12v to be sure it's not an issue with one of the interlock switches? (Trans in park, parking brake on)

Instead of spending $4K, you could perhaps make a new control board yourself or have someone do it for you. It wouldn't auto level, but 4 DPDT switches could be wired to run each jack up and down. Of course solenoids and indicator LEDs would also have to be included, but it would sure beat having to remove and install a whole new system!

First....thank you for your response.
Second, I had been asking myself the same question, since each leg has its own electric motor, why not individual manual control.
Third... My skill set is maybe one notch above the average guy walking down the street. I understand your idea, but the skill set todo it, is out of my swing zone. Not sure I might contact that would be that creative. Most of my RV types are just part changers.

But, thanks again for your comments.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
New information; when you disconnect power to the faulty control board, beware....the dump valve is totally unstable. A new circuit must be created to control it.

Long conversations with very helpful people at Newmar today. Yep, the old systems are failing, and there are no replacement boards. There is a substitute board, for 2014 and newer systems. Atwood has agreed to sell a complete system replacement at reduced prices ( about 40% of the individual components .) Still pretty expensive at $2,500 for the system.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #5

If you can get a wiring diagram then a simple manual control using switches and relays can be easily built that with a bit more money for connectors would plug directly into the existing connectors.

New control panel containing switches etc w the cable and stuff.

You could seek out assistance from a hobbyist like a ham operator as many are tinkers and could easily fabricate something.

There are ham operators on this forum and there may be one looking for some "busy work" or maybe someone else in same situation that maybe could assist as making 3 at same time could be more interesting...
Old 03-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have probably already solved your control board issue but here is an option if you haven't. When I owned my 2008 Tiffin 34TGA the control board on my Level Legs system died. I replaced it with the Gama Electronics remote control system. I didn't have to deal with an air dump issue though. VERY EASY installation and worked well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-03-02-18-39-32.png
Views:	333
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	153668
Old 03-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #7

Lippert owns attwoods leg division, they had a control available for my level leg s.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
My system was on a 2008 Tiffin. I contacted Sue, at Atwood, and she informed me that I could purchase the updated Level Legs system for around $2000 but that did not include installation. I asked her if the new controller worked on the previous system and she said no. That's why I purchased the Gama controller..... $190 compared to $2000 plus installation cost.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

My Atwood had 66555 # on it Lippert says $150. Probably moot by now , but you never know.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ya never know, the info could help someone.

Tags
atwood