Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 11:12 PM   #1

Help! Iím confused

Being new to having a rig that I hope will serve us well in our remaining years.
I have discovered a myriad of special issue with having more than one battery. In other words, when left unattended, why do they discharge so readily?
I have purchased several disconnect off-1-1&2-2 switches. I have searched these hallowed halls of wisdom. What a mixed bag! Some say to tie the disconnect to the ground side of both coach and house batteries and others say to disconnect from the positive side.
My question is, who is right? Furthermore, could anyone who has knowledge of this, please provide a schematic!Even a hand drawn image would be appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	EAFD4B7F-5E0A-44BF-A88B-7101DBC27AAA.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	346597

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C69D4FF-DBF0-40F2-BE08-1927B5B5B16E.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	346598

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5F1E534-9B85-44D7-945C-06602294D337.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	346599
Passingbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 11:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
People suggest the ground side because it's less likely to have extra cables attached to it. Also, there are often extra added wires put on your positive terminals by previous owners, or you.

When the negative terminal is disconnected, there can be NO parasitic loss.

Sorry, no schematic, but it's pretty simple to just disconnect the negative cables.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:41 PM   #3

If you have an inverter, converting battery power to 120v outlets, Iíd suggest reading that manual to determine their recommendation on wether to remove the hot side or ground first.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #4

Good morning, "Passingbye". First, quick suggestion. Edit your profile so that it will show your year, make and model of coach on your posts. That will have a HUGE effect on the usefulness and value of the feedback you receive.

Yes, it is true that opening the ground connection will eliminate ALL parasitic draws on your battery. From my experience, manufacturers are anything but consistent on how they "design" the electrical distribution systems in their coaches. Here are some possibles that I've encountered. Inverters, CO detectors, propane detectors, hydronic heating systems like the AquaHot's, electric door and/or storage bin locks, security systems, radios and such are often, if not usually, if not always, on the battery side of the disconnects that they install, if they include battery disconnects at all. You may not want some of those disconnected and that could become a problem if you choose to disconnect on the battery neutral side. For example, the hydronic heating systems are un-switched so that they can't be inadvertently powered off while the burner box is operating or is still excessively hot. Being un-switched, they are able to run their combustion fans and cool down before turning off to avoid damaging the unit.

Be sure to satisfy yourself that you won't lose any critical systems before you choose to routinely "open" your battery neutral instead of the "hot" side. I would be extremely surprised to learn that your inverter would actually be troubled by opening the negative, first. But like was suggested above, you should check the manual on that device.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passingbye View Post
Being new to having a rig that I hope will serve us well in our remaining years.
I have discovered a myriad of special issue with having more than one battery. In other words, when left unattended, why do they discharge so readily?
I have purchased several disconnect off-1-1&2-2 switches. I have searched these hallowed halls of wisdom. What a mixed bag! Some say to tie the disconnect to the ground side of both coach and house batteries and others say to disconnect from the positive side.
My question is, who is right? Furthermore, could anyone who has knowledge of this, please provide a schematic!Even a hand drawn image would be appreciated.
K7JV is correct. There are many possibilities.

Electrically speaking, you can disconnect either positive or negative cable to the battery bank. Either will protect against parasitic draw.

However, many Magnum brand inverter/converter/chargers have signal cables connected in an unusual configuration. Disconnecting the negative before the positive causes high current ground through a small signal ground, destroying the signal circuit. Check your inverter/converter/charger manual for warnings about which cable to disconnect.

Otherwise choose the most convenient cable to install the disconnect in.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #6

Which batteries are dying, the house or chassis, or both?
Old 10-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
May I suggest that the OP may be brand new to RVing and is just experiencing the batteries going dead because heís parked without shore power hooked up and the inverter is trying to run the 120V appliances without the charger being on and draining them. He/She/they may not understand that itís not like a car, where you can just park it in the driveway for a month or two and expect it to start up and go.
If the RV needed another battery cut-off switch it would almost certainly already have one either from the manufacturer or installed by a previous owner.
Also, what is the Make/Model/Year of the RV? For all I know it could be anything from a home built VW micro-bus up to a 45' Prevost Custom Coach.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #8

My concern with Disconnect NEG is the POS will still have 'potential' and should you accidently make pos-ground connect you will have a direct short
*working on a DC component/circuit and WHAM!...big spark/arch/burnt

If disconnect is on POS and all cables/wires have to go thru disconnect then when OFF no parasitic draws and No accidental contacts as POS is Dead.

One doesn't disconnect Neutral on AC...you disconnect the Hot side.
Same for 12VDC
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse