Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2022, 01:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Help with plumbing in Water Softener and ClearSource Ultra system

Hey there.

I was inspired by Dutch Star Don. LOL.

Getting ready for one of my spring projects, which is doing an in-bay install of a ClearSource Ultra filtration system and an On The Go double size water softener. I’m going to use the bay in front of the Chinook hydronic system on the off door side.
No slide tray in that bay, so was going to add a drain pan on that side to mount the equipment on and box it in. Then was going to add a slide out tray on the door side.

Other option is to put it behind the Chinook system (there’s space between the Chinook and the slide out tray, but it would be a pain to get in there to change filters, regeneration, etc.

It’s the plumbing I’m trying to make sure I’ve got right. Trying to design it with three way ball valves and shut offs to ensure I can meet all the requirements of the system maintenance (plus sometimes if the water is already soft, no need to waste the softener - like when attached at home.)

I’ve attached a schematic of how I’m thinking of plumbing it, but I’m no master plumber! LOL. I’d love feedback on whether anyone thinks I should change or modify what I’m thinking of for a configuration.

Looking forward to people’s thoughts!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pd1.pdf (216.0 KB, 32 views)
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 01:11 PM   #2

Looks like you have operation/backwash/regen cycles covered......OK

What about pre-softener filtration issues?
*Bypassing filters should one become clogged/fowled and no replacement readily available
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Looks like you have operation/backwash/regen cycles covered......OK

What about pre-softener filtration issues?
*Bypassing filters should one become clogged/fowled and no replacement readily available
Thanks! Makes sense. So maybe add a bypass around the filtration. In a pinch I can carry an inline filter to use if there’s a clog problem.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Well, the -25 degree temperatures are getting to me, so today I did all the plumbing to get the water filters and the water softener ready to go in the coach as soon as I can de-winterize (probably late April).

I had to adjust my plan to use three way T valves as they aren’t that readily available where I live and I needed certain patterns. Instead, I did it with straight shut offs and T’s. same result. I added the filtration by-pass as suggested as well.

I flipped the water softener around backward so I can get the water into the and out of the system on the same side (left). This lines up with where I’m planning on doing the install.

It all came together pretty well, except somewhere between the cash register at Lowes and my basement, one T went missing. Back to get another one tomorrow, then waiting for spring!

Here’s a pic of how it’s gonna look. Going to box it in with a drain pan and walls in the coach so it looks finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10F8F444-F7B9-49B4-9A0D-6E22E2539D73.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	354561  
Old 01-23-2022, 06:28 PM   #5

How do you remove canisters for new filters?
Old 01-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
To change the canisters, I’ll put it on bypass, bleed the pressure out of the canisters with the bleeder valve then just spin them off with the filter wrench like normal. The cage is designed to have clearance to get the canisters out.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
To change the canisters, I’ll put it on bypass, bleed the pressure out of the canisters with the bleeder valve then just spin them off with the filter wrench like normal. The cage is designed to have clearance to get the canisters out.

Out the side, back, bottom ???

Or if center is clogged do you have to remove one of the others first??

How do you loosen/tighten them?

Curious.........looks like nice set of filters provided changing is NOT a PITA LOL
Old 01-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Very simple and easy to change. There’s enough space to spin off any of them individually. You undo it, it drops low enough to then pull it out the front. The centre one comes out between the front supports and the outside ones come out on the outside of the supports. The cage is built like a tank (28 pounds).

You loosen/tighten them with a canister wrench (comes with the wrench you need).

Tags
water, plumbing