Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help with water tank gauges

My 93 Monaco has a control panel above the microwave. 4 of the switches are momentary and when pressed show the level in the Fresh, Grey and Black water tanks. The 4th is for the propane. I am in and out of the coach during the day working on it. Because of the real cold weather and snow we are having in the Pacific Northwest I decided to drain the fresh water and use air to blow out the lines as a precaution. When I left that day the gauges were working and showed there was still water in the fresh water tank. There is no drain and I had pumped most of the water out but had to give up.

I leave the heat on at about 40 degrees. I was there working on the coach yesterday and discovered all 3 water gauges read full off the scale when I press their switches. The propane tank reads correctly.

The attached picture shows the gauge controller that is mounted behind the gauges.

Any ideas or suggestions?
garage man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hard to believe you don't have a low point drain for the water tank.

Really common to have problems with the tank gauges unfortunately. Depending on what type you have you can find the troubleshooting help hopefully. I didn't see the pic you mentioned.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't see the pic because I forgot to attach it. The picture is the controller for the tanks gauges. When switches are depressed power is sent to the controller by each switch but the gauges go to full.

I have looked closer and can find no hint of a drain for my fresh water tank.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:01 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
May be time to Upgrade/Modernize to the SeeLevel system..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:38 PM   #5

I have a 97, and it has the same gauge panel.
All I can say is that behavior is weird. The reason why the gray and black tank sensors misbehave is usually crud from the fluids staying on the probes making them register a level that isn't there, but usually the fresh works fine since there's nothing in that tank but water.
It's really a simple system with little to go wrong. Send a small current to the sensors, and if theres liquid covering them, it completes the circuit.

Like others have said, it's very, very likely that there is a tank drain. For winterizing, sanitizing, etc.
My coach has two drains. One for the tank, one for the 'low point' of the plumbing system. Both of my valves are in the floor of the compartment where the inverter, water pump, water manifold is.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
First I must be getting old. Here is the picture of the control for the gauges.

Access to that compartment where the pump compartment is very difficult as it means crawling over one of the sliding trays in the basement and then trying to open the compartment access which opens towards me while lying there.

I will check it out when I get the chance. I was hoping there was a common problem because all three gauges react the same. Is there a replacement for this control available?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank levels.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	352698  
Old 12-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
May be time to Upgrade/Modernize to the SeeLevel system..
I just checked out the SeeLevel system. If I can access my tanks I will make the change. Looks like a great product and not expensive.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage man View Post
I just checked out the SeeLevel system. If I can access my tanks I will make the change. Looks like a great product and not expensive.

Thanks.
when installing , make damn sure that the tank surface is spotless clean... You "May" be able to use the wiring from the old system.. no guarentees that You can tho..
I bet that you will really like the read-outs in % of tank..
good luck
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
It wasn't easy to find but, here's link to download the manual for "Larson Electronic Mfg./Acu-Gage:
https://tankedge.com/downloads/ECP_T...vel_Manual.pdf
https://tankedge.com/about.html
https://tankedge.com/techsupport.html
(Larson Electronic is not to be confused with Larsen Electronics out of Kemp, TX.)
This is a link to the oldest model shown (created in 2008):
https://tankedge.com/downloads/iSeri...structions.pdf
Hope this helps some.

For those of you who have Larson Electronics panels that are older than 1996 and are not shown here please read the below note.

Back in 1996, the whole tank monitoring system was revamped. The way the signal was sent to the panel was changed to get rid of some bugs. Because of that, nothing before 1996 is compatible with anything after 1996. The company has also changed hands 4 times since then and none of the information regarding those old panels made it to us.
That being said, if you have a panel that is older than 1996 but looks similar to one of the ones above, we have come across some anomalies that don't fit the pattern and we are able to help. The best way for us to know for sure is for you to send a picture of the front and back of the panel and the circuit board. We can then determine what we can do to help your situation out. Please send the pictures with your contact information to techsupport@tech-edge.com.
If we cannot replace or fix your panel, we can discuss ways that we might be able to work with what you have to get a new system into place. We suggest watching the Features and Benefits of the iSeries panel video to see what you can upgrade to. (NOTE: click here to watch video directly on YouTube if video link isn't working)
Thank you, Tech-Edge Manufacturing LLC
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the info.
This problem will have to wait a bit. I am taking coach in to get Hydralift installed beginning tomorrow.

Always something on these older coaches.

Tags
gauges, tank, water