Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #15

I think you are looking for a Gaggenau Propane Cooktop. Our Beaver came with one as standard equipment. I think ours is the bottom of the Gaggenau line, but they are supposed to be very high quality units.

I found a number of pictures but none that I think fit your description. (They all had their controls on the top.) But, you can Google it and see if you find something you like. All Gaggenau Gas cooktops can be run on propane as well as natural gas (per their website).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know what BTU your looking for. Both Wedgewood, made by Atwood and Atwood have high end cook tops. They claim main burner 9,000 BTU and the other two burners are 6,000 BTU.

High Output Wedgewood Vision Cooktops - Atwood Mobile
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

We have an Amana that works very well, with a wide range of control. Amana doesn't make this small size any more, but you can still find them here and there.

There is nothing unique about a gas cooktop in an RV - the gas feed and pressure is the same as any LP cooktop. You just need to find the size and shape you like (and that fits). Some top brands with smaller models include Wolfe, Verona, Fagor, and others.

Verona has a two burner model: Verona VECTG212FDS 12" Gas Cooktop with 2 Sealed Burners, Electronic Ignition and Porcelain Grates: Stainless Steel
Windmax has a 23" 4 burner model: http://www.amazon.com/WindMax%C2%AE-...AYO/ref=sr_1_9
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Captain Jerry,

I think I found what you're referring to. It was featured in Motorhome mag May 2015. The article was called "One Hot Italian". It is a drop in with some slight mods to the the space because it is a little larger. The oven and cooktop combo isn't cheap ($975.00). It's called the Dometic SMEV CU4310730000US. When I searched I could not find the exact model anywhere. I was also unable to find the digital version of the article because it's not on Motorhome's web site yet...only Jan, Feb, and March. The oven does have front controls. Sorry I cannot be of more help with your search. When I read the article the stove looked great- it had buttons for the igniter and lights. If someone subscribes to the digital version of the magazine then that might help if their subscription allows this type of archive search.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Bob&AnnaMari for the Gaggenau suggestion. I went down that path and found the price a little high - $1,889 - although a very high quality unit.

That phone conversation with a Gaggenau dealer led to another brand - Bertazzoni. It seems to be equally high quality - stainless steel 24" unit with 4 burners producing 11,000, 2 @ 6,500 and 3,400 BTUs. Better yet, priced at $679. They also offer a 3 burner 24" unit with the big one at 18,000 BTUs - probably too much in an RV.

When I get back to my rig after the holidays I think I will see if this 4 burner unit will fit without too many modifications. Since it is a drop-in, I will probably have to fab some type of trim for the front to take up the space where the current slide-in has the front controls.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Original poster again - Thanks puttin. I just saw your reply after I posted about the Bertazzoni.

Thanks for checking your back issues of Motorhome magazine!

I believe SMEV is an Italian brand (like Bertazzoni) and in the course of my research I have found that this smaller size (24") is neglected by U.S. brands but the European and other non-U.S. brands do cater to this size since the kitchens in those countries are much smaller and don't have the space to allocate more than 24" to a cooktop in many cases. So if you want better than what Suburban or Atwood offer, it looks like you have to shop for an import. I would rather buy American, but when they don't satisfy a consumer need (or want) I'll look elsewhere.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJerry View Post
Thanks Bob&AnnaMari for the Gaggenau suggestion. I went down that path and found the price a little high - $1,889 - although a very high quality unit.

That phone conversation with a Gaggenau dealer led to another brand - Bertazzoni. It seems to be equally high quality - stainless steel 24" unit with 4 burners producing 11,000, 2 @ 6,500 and 3,400 BTUs. Better yet, priced at $679. They also offer a 3 burner 24" unit with the big one at 18,000 BTUs - probably too much in an RV.

When I get back to my rig after the holidays I think I will see if this 4 burner unit will fit without too many modifications. Since it is a drop-in, I will probably have to fab some type of trim for the front to take up the space where the current slide-in has the front controls.
I'm very glad I could be of assistance. And, how great was it that you found another lead. (I checked the website again and we have the smaller 200 - 2 burner unit - in our rig.)

One thing that is unique to our unit is that the starter spark will not "fire" until there is propane at the heads. At first we were using matches thinking that the electronic part was not working. I'm not sure how they do it, but when there is propane it sparks. But, with just air, it waits. Or at least that is our experience.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #22

Look through West Marine and Defender; you can probably find stainless steel cooktops with sealed burner bowls etc. The limit on btus is proximity to walls and cabinets.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #23
Community Moderator

just give you a wild thought - did your dw ever think about an induction cook-top? in our experience it's a mile ahead of gas and electric burner in term of cooking. take a look you may like it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Look through West Marine and Defender; you can probably find stainless steel cooktops with sealed burner bowls etc. The limit on btus is proximity to walls and cabinets.
I was thinking that while reading the replies; look at Marine cooktops too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #25

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...2+gas+cook+top

Some examples.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane