Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #1

Home A/C question

Although this has nothing to do with RV ing I am an RV er in Colorado and have an issue with my stick and brick back in Texas.

My son told me this am that only the fan was running on my AC. We checked all of the breakers and they were OK but the outside unit still would not come on.

I had the inside unit replaced the day before I left home and it was working when we left. The outside unit is a 2009 model.

Any suggestions on why the outside unit is not running when no breakers are tripped.

Sorry to be asking non RV related questions but I am kind of in a bind trying to decide exactly how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #2

My outside fan has a dedicated fuse box mounted on the outside wall. There are 2 fuses inside. Perhaps one or both of them has failed.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

Is there a Fuse Box on outside wall close to the compressor unit?
*Blown fuse

T-stat ....
Cool selected, temp setting lower then room temp.....t-stat goes "CLICK" and fan/compressor come on??

Run capacity for compressor...outside unit/small cover panel??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #4

Ants love to build up inside the outdoor relay and hold the contacts apart.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks for quick replies!

There are no fuses. Mine has a double breaker at the outside unit.

The thermostat was set correctly on cool and the inside fan was running so the compressor should have been running also.

Run capacitor seems like a good bet. Would the run capacitor also keep the outside fan from running?

I will get the AC people back out.

Thanks again
Doug
Old 08-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

Clean the ants and bugs out of that relay first!!!
Old 08-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #7

Capacitors are cheap so just replace both the start and run capacitors. Even if they don't need replacing look at it as preventative maintenance (it's going to fail sometime). If I'm not mistaken, when my capacitor went out, my outside fan didn't run.

Just be careful and, before you work on your existing capacitors, short the terminals on each with an insulated handled screwdriver to dissipate any charge it may be holding. This video applies to the start as well as the run capacitor.

You mentioned you recently replaced the inside unit. It has a control board that controls everything, including the starting and stopping of the outside unit. Therefore, the problem could be with your inside unit. A service call may be free even if the inside unit checks out ok. Call the company that installed it to find out.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
My Brother told me earlier this year a very similar story, except that he simply called out the A/C people that recently installed his. They came out, took off the cover, pressed a red reset button, A/C came on, and then they gave him a big bill for the service call (big for the amount of time they took but that included the service call and a 1 hour minimum).
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #9

It it's not an exterior fuse:

Some start capacitors are actually two in one case. One boosts the required higher current to start the fan motor; the other the A/C compressor's.

I fixed ours, then a neighbor's, with that $20 part, saving both of us at least a pricey service call or the probable "You need a new unit" ($10k?).

Pull the side access panel and look inside. You'll see how simple the unit is: few parts. My compressor would only 'groan' when commanded to start, confirming the control aspect and indicating it was not getting sufficient current to start.

I had some uncertaincy, not being an A/C tech, but for $20, I considered it well worth a try. 3 years later, both units operate normally. Take pics of what color wire connects to each capacitor lead (4 or 5) and definitely follow proper discharge procedures prior to touching any of those contacts.

While the unit is open, clean leaves, etc. from it and after reclosing it, you can rinse (not pressure wash) the exterior cooling fins, which is part of routine maintenance.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post

Run capacitor seems like a good bet. Would the run capacitor also keep the outside fan from running?

I will get the AC people back out.

Thanks again
Doug
Yes, on some units the start/run capacitor is built into a single "dual capacitor". I had this very thing happen to mine a few months ago. Capacitor died and nothing turned on outside.

Depending in your unit, if it is new enough it may also have a "computer brain" on the external unit too. If it see a problem with the capacitor or other item, it will set an error and not allow the unit to start until it gets reset.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:47 AM   #11

Seeing as how you had the evaporator changed the day before, I would suspect that there is a leak and the LP switch is open and keeping the compressor off.

That would be my first check.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #12

Well, it turned out to be the contact points in the compressor.

Thanks everyone for the information. It made me a little less apprehensive that it could be something other than a major problem.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
Well, it turned out to be the contact points in the compressor.

Thanks everyone for the information. It made me a little less apprehensive that it could be something other than a major problem.
I highly doubt your serviceman had access to any contact points within the compressor. That is a sealed unit. Was it the outside contactor or relay that I mentioned previously? Full of bugs or ants?
Old 08-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #14

TandW;5862084]I highly doubt your serviceman had access to any contact points within the compressor. That is a sealed unit. Was it the outside contactor or relay that I mentioned previously? Full of bugs or ants?

OK , pardon my ignorance. It was the relay in the outside unit which houses the compressor. Contacts were burned up no ants or bugs.