Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son races MX so we are at the races 25 or more weekends a year. We often run the generator 12 to 18 or more hours a day so I bought a 5000 watt ($500) generator from Home depot. That way there is'nt so much "wear and Tear" on my 5500 Watt Onan.
The genator is noisy but runs great and who cares when your at a motorcycle race.
The problem is even tho it is 5000 watt gen. it only has 3 15 amp recpticles. Does any one know if It could be changed to one 50 amp or even one 30 amp recpticle?
Also the Home Depot gen is only putting out about 108 volts w/ 1 AC, fridge running , where the Onan is at 120 volts with the same load. Does this hurt anything?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son races MX so we are at the races 25 or more weekends a year. We often run the generator 12 to 18 or more hours a day so I bought a 5000 watt ($500) generator from Home depot. That way there is'nt so much "wear and Tear" on my 5500 Watt Onan.
The genator is noisy but runs great and who cares when your at a motorcycle race.
The problem is even tho it is 5000 watt gen. it only has 3 15 amp recpticles. Does any one know if It could be changed to one 50 amp or even one 30 amp recpticle?
Also the Home Depot gen is only putting out about 108 volts w/ 1 AC, fridge running , where the Onan is at 120 volts with the same load. Does this hurt anything?
Denver, Colorado
Old 06-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Without knowing the phasing of the windings of the outputs on the generator I can't tell you if you can put on a single 30 amp receptacle or not. I do know that you will probalby not be able to put on a 50 amp since it is 120/240 volt setup. The RV generator is designed to run for long hours and the contractor generator is not. Just make sure you run the RV generator a couple hours a month minimum, loaded with an air conditioner or you will have problems from it sitting too much.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #4

.....I have 3 contractor generators[generac] and a Miller generator/ welder....they make a bunch of noise but run for 14-16 hours a day for 7 months straight ....[if they are not stolen]-I have them gone over and tuned up or cleaned out and they go again the next season....all are in their 3-4 season...oil changed every week along with oil filter and air filter....sparkplugs are changed once a month.....I try to keep them out of the rain but sometimes I forget....they run on regular gasoline......no problems yet and they will shock the stuffin out of you if you are not checking the power chord ends for cracks in the insulaton and ground prongs[how do I know this?].......geofkaye
Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I bought the Generac 4000 EXL from home depot. It has a 30A as well as a 240V receptacle in addition to 2 standard 15A outlets. It surges to 6000 Watts, has electric start, and runs everything in my 5ver with no problems yet. Surprisingly quiet too.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
allendp, I wish I would have got one like yours, I saw 5000 watts and did'nt think about each individual plug having only 15 amps.
It does run grteat and starts 1st pull every time. No oil filter tho.
Denver, Colorado