Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Hooked Battery Backwards

I just went to the cave to get my popup out of storage. I made the mistake of hooking the the black to negative. I noticed it when I pulled out and the trailer brake controller on my F150 was not working correctly. So I pulled into the parking lot outside the cave and realized my mistake. Once I got home I checked everything in the camper and it all seems to be working after replacing the 40 amp fuse. The only thing not working properly is the trailer brake controller. i checked my truck fuses but cant seem to find anything blown. Any ideas?
Camping Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I think that you need to provide a little more information. In the automotive world, black IS negative and red is positive. Exactly what were you hooking up?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I think that you need to provide a little more information. In the automotive world, black IS negative and red is positive. Exactly what were you hooking up?
But in the the camping trailer world, for some god forsaken reason, often times black is positive and white is negative. I was shocked when I saw my 5er had conventional for DC red positive and black negative, so shocked that I hand traced the cables to make sure.

I'm curious as to why the brake controller is acting up, the on board battery feeds the break away switch, but that's it, unless the plug was out of the break away. When you say acting up, what's it doing?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

my camper black is positive. I hooked the battery up backwards. No my truck (f150 factory brake control) trailer break control light up but the meter is no longer working. I hooked a friends trailer up to it as well to test the controller and eliminate my camper brake. It did not work with the other trailer as well. I looked at all the fuses but could not find none blown. I tested them with a meter.
Camping Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

Brake controllers get their power from the vehicle battery, in your case the truck battery. It feeds 12V power to the electric brakes with no connection to the camper battery. As SKnight said, unless the emergency break-away cable was pulled, there can be no connection between your controller and the camper battery.
There is a connection between those batteries though, through the 12V charging line in the umbilical cord plug. This would hopefully blow a fuse to prevent damaging your truck charging system. There is where I would look for damage first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery