RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hooked to 50 but reading 30

I hooked up to shore power and my Intellitec Smart Ems I only showing 30 amps. The box I am hooked up to has fuses instead of breakers. There are two fuses, a 35 amp and a 60 amp, the other goes to the site next to mine. I pulled the fuses and switched them and I still have only 30 amps. I switched to generator power and everything was good. I am not sure how things are different between shore power and generator power. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

Is your 50 amp tripped??
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #3

On my motorhome or at the box?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

Hooked to 50 but reading 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I hooked up to shore power and my Intellitec Smart Ems I only showing 30 amps. The box I am hooked up to has fuses instead of breakers. There are two fuses, a 35 amp and a 60 amp, the other goes to the site next to mine. I pulled the fuses and switched them and I still have only 30 amps. I switched to generator power and everything was good. I am not sure how things are different between shore power and generator power. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

It's the campground pedestal that has the problem. It sounds like you actually have a single leg wired up to a standard 50 amp outlet. If you have a volt/ohm meter, check for 240 VAC between the 2 hot legs. I'll bet you see 0 VAC between those 2 legs. That's what you EMS looks for to identify 30 amp power.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #5

Thanks Steve. I am not much of an electrician so I will have the campground check that.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That's commonly called "Fake 50 Amp" Service. Tht happens when people who do the wiring inside the RV Park have no clue as to what they are doing.

50 amp service requires two legs of power out of phase such that you would get 240 VAC between the two legs. I bet they have two legs of power but they are in-phase and not out of phase.

[moderator edit]

Good luck with the park people and sure hope they know what they are doing.

Dr4Film ----- Richrd
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
That's commonly called "Fake 50 Amp" Service. Tht happens when people who do the wiring inside the RV Park have no clue as to what they are doing.

50 amp service requires two legs of power out of phase such that you would get 240 VAC between the two legs. I bet they have two legs of power but they are in-phase and not out of phase.

Good luck with the park people and sure hope they know what they are doing.

Dr4Film ----- Richrd
Thanks. I asked another camper if he had 50 amp service and he said he did. The owner told me he would check it tomorrow when it quits raining here.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Steve. I am not much of an electrician so I will have the campground check that.

Here is some light reading:

http://www.rvcruzer.com/electrical/tutorial.php

You will be ahead of the game if you gain some knowledge on the subject & get yourself a Volt/Ohm meter. $20 at Lowes or HD.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
you said fuses like as in glass fuses? you have one old service, like 1950 era
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPOHOLIC View Post
you said fuses like as in glass fuses? you have one old service, like 1950 era
It is the long metal contact fuses.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Here is some light reading:

Electrical Tutorial

You will be ahead of the game if you gain some knowledge on the subject & get yourself a Volt/Ohm meter. $20 at Lowes or HD.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

The fuses should both be the same and there should be two one for each side of each 50 amp plug. If there are two sites powered by that box then there should be 4 50 amp or possibly 55 amp fuses for two 50 amp sites.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
KIX

50 amp service is actually 50 amps on each of two legs or a total of 100 amps. If you see only one 60 and one 35 amp fuse then you do not have 50 amp RV service regardless of what the receptacle looks like
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #14

Mine will sometimes show 30 amps when plugged into a 50 amp. The on board read out changes to 50 amp after I turn on an air conditioner or heavy draw appliance. I have no idea of why. Does your continue to show 30 or does it change to 50?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote