Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I would DEFINITELY get the 50A. A lot harder to upgrade that later on.
I installed wire for 50a with 30a breaker and connector to save a few bucks and it is what was needed. If I want to upgrade at sometime in the future easy to do since the wire is already in place.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Went from 20 to 30 then 50 amp. Should have just done the 50 amp first.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Home Depot sells a RV 50amp exterior mount box which includes the outlet. It was very reasonable. Your son will only need to pick up some wire and a 50amp 220 breaker to fit his panel.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definitely 15 amp :-)

If you are in Florida like me you definitely want only 15 amps.

During the summer you can put those previously in-laws that always stay too long in the RV, sneak off for the weekend and lock the house and when you get back they will probably be gone!!

Sorry - the Devil made me post!

I really use a 30 amp and it's fine for one a/c - heat pump but I'd do 50 amp if I didn't have to dig up the yard to run bigger cable. And don't undersize your wire to the pedestal if it's a long run or you will have some voltage drop problems.

Cheers-
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #19

I picked up a 50amp box with the out let only. I didn't want the breaker in the box, as we will mount it on the outside of his garage near the central box for the garage and use the breaker in the garage.
The 50amp box was $3.00 more then the 30, so I turned into the big spender.
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you have it wired follow this link , incorrect wiring will destroy everything electronic.
Here is more info for your use.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose38 View Post
I picked up a 50amp box with the out let only. I didn't want the breaker in the box, as we will mount it on the outside of his garage near the central box for the garage and use the breaker in the garage.
The 50amp box was $3.00 more then the 30, so I turned into the big spender.
You might want to rethink that decision. You should really shut off the breaker before you plug your power cord into the outlet, then turn on the breaker. This prevents arcing. Now, if you have your son always keep that 50 amp breaker in the off position and you don't mind going inside his garage every time you hook up, that will be fine.

Just something to think about.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't have the breaker in the outlet box. Mine is in the panel in the garage. I keep the breaker off when not in use. I turn it off before unplugging. I took a permanent marker and posted a note to make sure the breaker is off before plugging and unplugging RV.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I don't have the breaker in the outlet box. Mine is in the panel in the garage. I keep the breaker off when not in use.
That's the way mine is for both the 50a and the 20a ...breakers I side the shop, maybe 10 steps around the wall IF the door is unlocked. I want to be able to kill those outlets when we are gone so we don't have unwanted guests when we return. The other 50a outlet on the back of the house is the same way ...breaker is inside the garage. All are off except when in use.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1927422]When you have it wired [B][URL="http://www.myrv.us/electric/
follow this link[/URL][/B] , incorrect wiring will destroy everything electronic.
Here is more info for your use.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
You might want to rethink that decision. You should really shut off the breaker before you plug your power cord into the outlet, then turn on the breaker. This prevents arcing. Now, if you have your son always keep that 50 amp breaker in the off position and you don't mind going inside his garage every time you hook up, that will be fine.

Just something to think about.
Good advice. Mine is controlled by the breaker however, the panel is literally behind the 50amp box on the interior wall. It is a small inconvenience at best.
But were I to do it over?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
X2

Good advice. Mine is controlled by the breaker however, the panel is literally behind the 50amp box on the interior wall. It is a small inconvenience at best.
But were I to do it over?
After 25 years full timing I forgot that there are a lot of people that don't know that. The number you fine when you pull into a park and find boxes that are left in the on position. I will be nice and think that all those people shut off their main breaker in the RV before they plug and pull their power.
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose38 View Post
Thanks for all the great replies. The reason I wanted to know we are a full timer, and
our son is buying a new house and I wondering which outlet and box to give him for a nice house warming gift. LOL
don't forget the water and sewer hookups
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
X2 gbstewart . Also don't forget the WiFi !!
gmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
While you are on the roll throw in cable TV.