Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #1

House Batteries

How much AH capacity do I really need if I don't do if I don't boondock?
KeithNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #2

That depends of what you are camping in and how you use it.

On my motorhome, the sole source of DC power is the batteries. The refrigerator, the ACs, the hot water heater, some lights, the steps, are 12v or 12v controlled. My inverter/charger can keep the batteries in good shape when I am on shore or generator power. When I am traveling, I need the batteries to keep the refrigerator and steps working.

On a trailer, the batteries make the refrigerator and brakes (emergency disconnect) work.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #3

100 AH is abour all you need. One GP31 or 2 cheap GP24 Marine/RV batteries will do the trick.

That way you'll have enough cranking power for starting the generator or boost starting the main engine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

The answer is, very little or a lot. It all depends on how much power you want to have available and how much weight capacity and space you have available.

I have a 20 foot travel trailer. I usually camp without electrical hook up for 5 days.

I have 200 amp hours of battery capacity. In the winter I usually can camp for 3 days because the furnace fan uses a lot. You may easily get by with half that if you never dry camp or boondock camp.

When and how much 12 volt power do you use?

While you are driving, usually the RV engine or tow vehicle provides 12 volt power. Some smaller tow vehicles do not supply much, but others supply a lot.

While plugged in to shore power, your built in converter/charger supplies power. Most newer rigs have a converter that works fine without a battery. Some older units require a minimum battery size to stabilize the voltage.

How long do you park with engine "off" and shore power unplugged. Do you stop for lunch while traveling? Does the unit sit unplugged over night sometimes? Do you occasionally stop for a few hours at a wayside, shopping, or tours?

What appliances use 12 volt power. Often water heater, furnace, and refrigerator use 12 volts for control circuits and fans. Do you run an inverter for a compressor type refrigerator?

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithNSS View Post
How much AH capacity do I really need if I don't do if I don't boondock?
Andy I think it really depends on what equipment you plan to run when not plugged in. If your RV has a residential fridge or a gas fridge and how your RV is setup.

It would be to your benefit to add your RV info to your signature or add it to your post. If we know what your RV and equipment are we can give you a more educated response, otherwise we are giving very basic information.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
depends on what you are using...
let us know what you expect to use or turn on...

as mentioned some RV's have elec only refridge.. etc etc..

If you do not boondok and ALWAYS have it plugged in the the battery can be a basic 24/27 deep.. it will be just a storage buffer and a just incase you need some light and to run the water if power goes out.

Here is my senario and half arse rational.. I have 3 29/31 batteries,, soon to add one more.. currantly 300AH.. I have and can pull down 170-180 AH before voltage gets inverter mad.. but water pump and lights still go for a bit..
I can get get around 8.5-10.5 hrs running by absorb fridge on inverter in a dire need on an 80+ degree day.. and get genny started..

maybe 300 watts of solar if I feel the need , or 200 just to keep things up while it sits and I dont have to plug in while at house..etc..

I had 2 for 200 AH and it would run heat fan during nite,, lights, TV, water pump small fan etc. with no heater fan I was fine from Frdiay nite til sunday morning for basics..
with 3 I am good most of the time..

32 " tv, internet router, water pump, 12v lamps.. etc.. are my go to items.. maybe a kuerig coffee in AM that puts a spike in use..15-20AH per 8oz cup depends on model.. LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not too much, if you move around like we do. My coach has 4ea, 6v GC batts in series/para, giving me about 400ah. That’s the way we bought it (used), and kept it that way.
We almost never boondock more than one night (twice in 9 years), and maybe 5-10 nights per year doing parking lot overnights during travel. All the rest of the time we’re plugged in or on generator, and the battery bank is just a big capacitor in the coach circuitry.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #8

House Batteries

Thanks to everyone who responded! The information was very helpful.

Bottom line, our RV experience is 90+% driving from RV site to RV site where utilities are available. We like having a base to operate from and we tow a Jeep for excursions. On some rare occasions, we will spend the night where the utilities aren't available in which case, we'll use the generator.

Thanks Again,

Keith & Pam
KeithNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #9

Keith what type and model of RV do you have? Sounds like a Class A. If so most come with enough battery power to do an overnight stay without hookups unless you need your AC. Sounds like you are in good shape for your situation.

Tags
batteries, house batteries