Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

House Batteries

My 2003 Coachmen currently has 2-6 volt golf cart batteries. I tried charging them but they are showing bad. The space under the step has enough area to hold just 2 batteries. I was looking through the manual which shows using Interstate brand 12 volt battery. I am confused on what to actually put back in to replace the bad batteries and if I should hook them in series as the two six volts were originally installed. Your help is deeply appreciated.
mustachemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Simplest is just get 2 new interstate 6v's and then all the cabling will be the same, they are hooked in series to make one 12 volt. If there is room to go with 12 volts compare the amp hours your getting with the 2 -12v VS the 6v. The 12v will need to be hooked in parallel, pos+ TO pos+ and neg- TO neg- and you may have to change/add some cabling.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #3

Yup, your choice of two 6 VDC wired in SERIES

OR

two 12 VDC wired in PARALLEL.

Best bang for the buck in deep cycle batteries would be to stick with your 6 VDC arrangement.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #4

Thank you! The 6 volts are the same size as the 12 volts but at this time I will just use the 6 volts since I will have to get one of my electrical friends to help with the adding the cables if I go with the 12 volt system later.
mustachemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

Since you already are set up for two golf cart batteries wired in series, I would stick with that type. Golf cart batteries are one of very few true deep cycle flooded cell lead acid batteries and are also the cheapest available for the amp hours they deliver. Thank the golf cart industry for that. The only downside is that you have to check and add water 3-4 times a year.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #6

6V GCs best bang for the $
https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:02 AM   #7

Many people convert from a pair of 12V batteries wired in parallel to a pair of 6V wired in series, as they tend to be more economic, and in general perform better. You may want to do some research on the benefits of 6V batteries wired in series, there are a lot of message threads here on converting from 12V batteries in parallel to 6V in series..
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries