Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

House batteries not charging

2007 Winnebago Access 31C on a 2007 Chevy Workhorse Chassis 6.0L engine
2 6 volt U.S. house batteries 1 Sears Platinum Engine battery

Ok so I had an issue of the Aux Start switch not working and the house batteries not charging.
No Problem, got it figured out that the solenoid was bad as when I pressed the AUX START = no click
Changed it out for a new one.......NOW comes the bad part.....
Start engine =Fine
Check alternator at engine =Fine
Check AUX Start = Fine, Solenoid clicks like it should
Check house batteries = NOT fine, no connection from Alternator to house batteries

So while the engine is running I can push the AUX START and the house batteries jump to 14.3 volts........ perfect!
This means they connect if I need to boost the starting aspect.

Let go of the switch and house batteries are now disconnected....It's (the solenoid) supposed to pickup the fact that "Engine is on" and is supposed to connect the house batteries to charge them while driving....this does NOT happen.

I checked the AUX switch it's fine. I installed a new solenoid and I know it works as I press the AUX button and batteries all connect.

The issue that I'm pulling my hair out is that there is a fuse or something from the AUX switch to the solenoid that is preventing the connection to the solenoid. Winnebago can't help me they say check the fuse but have no idea where that fuse is.

I checked both fuse boxes and all fuses are good.

Winnebago then says follow the wire from the switch and see where is goes.

NO F*****G way I'm taking the entire front end, seats, flooring out etc. to follow a wire.

So has anyone here had this issue you can give me a clue what fuse Winnebago uses in the Chevrolet Chassis?
Or, do you have any idea where the wires from the AUX switch go?

I'm really not in the mood for bunch of possible things to check as I think I've got it narrowed down.

If you KNOW great !!!! if your guessing.....Thanks anyway.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
.....If you're guessing, thanks anyway.

With the engine off and possibly the engine battery disconnected to avoid any confusion can you meter and find the house battery connection under the hood? It seems like this would help you at least know what/where you need to connect to get the alternator to charge the house batteries.

Good luck seems like you're very close.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthegod View Post
Or, do you have any idea where the wires from the AUX switch go?

I'm really not in the mood for bunch of possible things to check as I think I've got it narrowed down.

If you KNOW great !!!! if your guessing.....Thanks anyway.
You don't need to know where the wires from the AUX switch go, that function WORKS, so what more do you need to know about that?

What you do need to know is HOW the solenoid determines that the ignition is ON, or the engine is RUNNING, (which is the two ways Winni uses to close that solenoid). They are two separate circuits and functions.

Just in case your mood changes, or you are not as close to having "it narrowed down" as you think, You might want to;
  • Check to see if there was a second wire connected to the small solenoid coil terminals, that you failed to re-connect
  • If not... You DO need to trace that single wire back far enough to see where the above mentioned signals are wired into that circuit.

I suggest that the next time you come to the forum asking for help, you leave the attitude at the door.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winnebago uses a wire connected to the RUN terminal to activate the AUX (battery mode) solenoid when the engine is running.
On mine that wire goes to a fuse and several wires are connected to the output of the fuse. I don't know where the fuse is on your rig but a call to Winnebago should get you the location. On mine the backup monitor and the engine-on step retract signal lead are also connected to that fuse.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Sounds possibly like a bad isolation relay.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I swear I posted to this thread, and now the post is gone....

Anyway

On mine, the isolation relay gets energized two ways:

1) The EMER START button

2) The engine alternator circuit.

When the engine is running the Alternator circuit should be pulling in the solenoid.

You said you replaced the solenoid as it was known bad. You said the new solenoid works, and you verified it with the EMER START and the voltages you quoted look right on.

I would look very, very carefully at the connections to the solenoid to see if one of them is bad, or something didn't get hooked up and is hiding. give each of the wires on the solenoid a good tug, don't just look.

You might also look at the EMER START switch, it may pick up the alternator wire there instead of the solenoid.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #7

Thanks all of you (Sorry for attitude, Frustration in just wanting the answer).

I did find the issue. The AUX button has three wires, one to the solenoid (which the new I installed), second, (Hot) for the Momentary connect to the solenoid, and THIRD, the KEY ON ONLY hot wire <<<which was dead.

Tried to trace it to see where the issue was. But Winnebago has buried it. And it's was spliced/linked to the Power Mirror fuse. So then I recall about 4-5 years ago I had an issue with the power mirrors not working. Still under warranty returned it, and, they could not find the issue and installed a new hot wire for the mirrors < they work fine and have since the repair. However my deduction is at that time the hot lead to my solenoid was out and I just didn't see it then. At that time the solenoid worked from the momentary button being activated. So when the solenoid finally died is when I realized things weren't working like they should.

So I did the same thing, installed a new hot (Key On) and everything is working perfectly.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear you were able to resolve this! Way to stick with it!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries