Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
House lights running off house batteries while plugged into 50AMP

I am currently in a campground in Freedom, NH. I have noticed when traveling here that every morning after camping all night that when I started the engine, I would get a "Low Battery" warning. We have been here around 48 hours. When we came in this evening I noticed that the lights seemed much dimmer. However, we ran the washer and dryer all ok. I checked the 50 amp box all looks ok. So, I started my engine on MH and the lights brightened. I had the same "low battery" warning light come on. It appears to me that when the rig is plugged in to 50 amps it runs a/c furnace etc. However, some how the lights are running off of the house batteries. I need some help. Electrical issues are something I have great difficulty with. Thanks!!

Blue Ox
Stealth Brake Buddy
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
When on shore power, your converter/charger (or inverter/charger) should power your 12v house system while it charges the house batteries. The charging current should also trigger the battery isolation solenoid to connect the two battery systems together. The BIS seems to be working since you report that starting the engine made the house lights brighten. The engine alternator provided the current to connect the BIS, making the lights brighten.

Your converter/charger probably has circuit breakers on the metal box. You'll have to find them and reset them, see if the lights brighten, showing the converter/charger is working.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addisons View Post
I am currently in a campground in Freedom, NH......I need some help. Electrical issues are something I have great difficulty with. Thanks!!

Blue Ox
Stealth Brake Buddy
If you're in Freedom and have a 38' MH, my guess is you're at Danforth Bay CG. Great place. I also love Hobe Sound! We're going to Ft Pierce this winter. Our daughter lives in Palm Beach Gardens. I can't give you any meaningful Allegro help as I have an Itasca. I do live in Freedom and would be willing to come by on Tuesday with my volt meter and tool box and do some diagnostics. Give me a shout back if you would like some help.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addisons View Post
I am currently in a campground in Freedom, NH. I have noticed when traveling here that every morning after camping all night that when I started the engine, I would get a "Low Battery" warning. We have been here around 48 hours. When we came in this evening I noticed that the lights seemed much dimmer. However, we ran the washer and dryer all ok. I checked the 50 amp box all looks ok. So, I started my engine on MH and the lights brightened. I had the same "low battery" warning light come on. It appears to me that when the rig is plugged in to 50 amps it runs a/c furnace etc. However, some how the lights are running off of the house batteries. I need some help. Electrical issues are something I have great difficulty with. Thanks!!
The engine alternator is charging the batteries during your travel, but the shore power does not appear to be charging them. On your Magnum Inverter/Converter control panel, make sure you have the converter(charger) turned on. The panel on mine is above the driver's seat, but not sure where it's located on your QBA. There are two buttons on the lower left, one for the charger and one for the inverter. You have to turn the charger on for it to power the 12v system. There are two LED lights above the two buttons labeled CHG and INV. Those show whether the charger and inverter are turned on.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:53 AM   #5

I blew the fuse on the inverter itself. Check that out too. Best of luck.
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you seeing the "Low Battery" on the LBCU? If so, you are not waiting long enough for the coils to heat up before turning over the engine. The intake has to heat up before firing a diesel engine. In order to this, it takes a large amount of amperage from the chassis batteries. This is normal.

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4002 w/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad using Blue Ox Aladdin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Are you seeing the "Low Battery" on the LBCU? If so, you are not waiting long enough for the coils to heat up before turning over the engine. The intake has to heat up before firing a diesel engine. In order to this, it takes a large amount of amperage from the chassis batteries. This is normal.

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4002 w/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad using Blue Ox Aladdin
That could be the issue on the Low Battery. I am new to the diesel rig. And I do forget sometimes to let the coil light go out.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The engine alternator is charging the batteries during your travel, but the shore power does not appear to be charging them. On your Magnum Inverter/Converter control panel, make sure you have the converter(charger) turned on. The panel on mine is above the driver's seat, but not sure where it's located on your QBA. There are two buttons on the lower left, one for the charger and one for the inverter. You have to turn the charger on for it to power the 12v system. There are two LED lights above the two buttons labeled CHG and INV. Those show whether the charger and inverter are turned on.
Thank you. I have not been checking to make sure the charger is on. Thanks for your response. Good information!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
If you're in Freedom and have a 38' MH, my guess is you're at Danforth Bay CG. Great place. I also love Hobe Sound! We're going to Ft Pierce this winter. Our daughter lives in Palm Beach Gardens. I can't give you any meaningful Allegro help as I have an Itasca. I do live in Freedom and would be willing to come by on Tuesday with my volt meter and tool box and do some diagnostics. Give me a shout back if you would like some help.

Fran
Thanks for the offer to help. We had to fly back to Florida to prepare our properties for Hurricane Matthew. We are not sure when we are flying back to pick up our MH. However, anytime your in the Hobe Sound area give me a shout.

Tags
light, batteries, lights, house batteries