RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

How big is my black and grey water tanks

Good Morning!
This isn't urgent just something I would like to know.
I have read through all of the manuals and I can't find anywhere how big the black tank or gray water tank is. Is there any place I can look this up on the Internet? Short of pouring 5 gallons of water at a time into the tanks I have no idea!
Thanks
red7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It would help to know year, make, and model of your RV.

That said, do a google search for your year, make, model, and “specifications”. You may have to wade through a bunch of junk, but will probably find them.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

First of all, you need to include or post the year, make and model of your RV... someone reading your posting may have the same RV... if you add it to your signature lines then it will be automatically added to the end of each posting...

To answer your question...
If you are going to use the fill-it-up method then this will help...

https: // www.walmart.com/ip/P3-International-P0550-Save-A-Drop-Water-Meter/19885585

I've also seen it on Amazon and a few years ago at big orange (Home Depot)...

Next, if you have physical access to the tanks, and if they are square sided then it's fairly easy... I used this method with my Class A... (shades of 1960s grade school math and high school physics)...

I'll use my fresh water tank as an example...
The tape measure says the outside dimensions are 22.5 inches wide by 15.5 inches high by 44.5 inches deep

22.5 times 15.5 times 44.5 is 15519.375 cubic inches

15519 divided by 231 (the number of cubic inches in a gallon) = 67.18
but we are using outside dimensions for simplicity and that ignores the thickness of the tank walls... and the thickness (especially of the bottom and the sides) reduces the volume... so call it around 65-66 gallons.

If you have a tank with an odd shape that can be approximated with multiple cubes, i.e. a smaller cube on top of a larger cube, or a small cube on the end of a large cube then you can calculate the volume of each section and then add the resulting numbers...
Some black and grey tanks are tapered on the bottom with the "fat" end or low point at the drain fitting (to assist in dumping)... just measure the height of the short end and the height of the tall end and split the difference. the volume will not be exact, but it will be usable.

A few months after I calculated 65-66 gallons I found a old brochure from the vintage of my coach and it said 65 gallons. Close enough...

Later on using a meter (like the one shown in the walmart webpage above) I found that it overflowed right around 62 and a half... Must have shrunk with age... Or maybe the overflow tube location cost some volume. Or maybe the marketing weasels rounded the numbers up...

Mike
Old 11-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
It would help to know year, make, and model of your RV.

That said, do a google search for your year, make, model, and “specifications”. You may have to wade through a bunch of junk, but will probably find them.

Regards,

Randy
+1 on this or contact the mfg customer service department and get a copy of the 'build sheet' for your specific RV.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somewhere in your RV there should be a data sheet that has that information printed on it. Ours, a 2007 Bounder, has it glued to the wall inside the bedroom wardrobe closet...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
red..... you did not ask about your fresh water tank. Do you know that quantity? As a VERY general rule of thumb your gray tank might be about 60 to 65% of your fresh capacity, and your black May be about 35 to 40%.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #7

Red , has set up a signature line for his RV , but must have posted this question using a phone app, and when using the app , signature lines don't show with the posts .

TT, 2004 Crossroads 28'

I'll go with ; JFXG 's ; assessment 60 % of fresh capacity for grey , and 40 % for black . That's my set up.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #8

Your profile shows a 2004 CrossRoads TT
Contact them and inquire
https://www.crossroadsrv.com/contact-us/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:54 AM   #9

I am using a phone app! I didn't know that my signature didn't show up! I will switch to my laptop in the future post!
Thanks to you all!
red7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red7654 View Post
I am using a phone app! I didn't know that my signature didn't show up! I will switch to my laptop in the future post!
Thanks to you all!
That's OK

Might want to change that 28' to actual Model cause the different models are not 28'
And Cruiser can be 5th wheel or travel trailer
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water