Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
I'm sorry you don't like travelling with your wife. Having her drive separately makes no sense to me. And, electric cars get 47 mpg when you figure the generation of the charging electricity.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think you need to redo YOUR math.

What is 50 × 220 ? .........
to add to that. Where did the 25 come from?
Old 10-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CORRECTION: (50a RV w/ 30a adapter is 3,600-watt max, (not the 6,000 originally stated) (WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY WAS) single HOT across two legs w/ #6 wire and 50-amp wire to a 50a plug would be 6,000-watts
Old 10-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
I'm pretty sure that the "cheater" wiring method you speak of would a violation of the NEC. Since few RVs are bringing electric vehicles along, I image that there is not a lot of demand for the service you're hoping to find. I also image that, upgrading to legally accomplish your goal would be quite expensive and therefore not likely to be embraced by campground owners. While I was in Rapid City, SD earlier this year, I noticed the Tesla had four electric charging stations in the Rushmore Mall (across from Red Lobster). I also remember a generic EV charging station at the Cracker Barrel in Crossville, TN (although both parking spaces were occupied by inconsiderate knuckleheads with regular, gas burning cars). You might do better searching for "electric vehicle charging stations"

My first thought was that you were trying to use a Camco cord that has 30A male AND 15A male plugs that simultaneously plug into the 30A and 15A outlets on a standard RV pedestal. When a pedestal is wired properly (as per NEC) the 15A outlet has a built in GFCI. That GFCI WILL trip when both the 30A and 15A males are plugged in thus defeating the original intent of getting 45A of service.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the "cheater" wiring method you speak of would a violation of the NEC. Since few RVs are bringing electric vehicles along, I image that there is not a lot of demand for the service you're hoping to find. I also image that, upgrading to legally accomplish your goal would be quite expensive and therefore not likely to be embraced by campground owners. While I was in Rapid City, SD earlier this year, I noticed the Tesla had four electric charging stations in the Rushmore Mall (across from Red Lobster). I also remember a generic EV charging station at the Cracker Barrel in Crossville, TN (although both parking spaces were occupied by inconsiderate knuckleheads with regular, gas burning cars). You might do better searching for "electric vehicle charging stations"

My first thought was that you were trying to use a Camco cord that has 30A male AND 15A male plugs that simultaneously plug into the 30A and 15A outlets on a standard RV pedestal. When a pedestal is wired properly (as per NEC) the 15A outlet has a built in GFCI. That GFCI WILL trip when both the 30A and 15A males are plugged in thus defeating the original intent of getting 45A of service.
Since few RVs are bringing electric vehicles along, I image that there is not a lot of demand for the service you're hoping to find.

The service he is hoping to find is standard 50 amp 240 volt service.
Most RV parks have many sites with that. Some have 50 amp 240 volt service in all sites.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #48
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
^^^^^^^^ Doesn't understand the problem.

Please explain why my suggestion would not work.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Please explain why my suggestion would not work.
It would not provide two 50 Amp capable hot legs at 240 VAC.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Build a box for yourself that you could use in emergency. Two 30 amp inlets and one 50 amp outlet for your cars charger.
I wonder how well a 30 amp 240 volt service would work charging a car designed to accept 50 amp 240 volt service ?

If your lucky enough to pick 2, 30 amp outlets not on the same leg, to actually get 240 volts, its still 20 amps short and may trip the breakers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #51

Voltmeter
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #52

Generator Backup plan

Check you Generator to see if it provides 220VAC for a Backup plan. I think the 8KW does not, but both the 10KW and 12KW will.

Missing 220VAC will not affect the amount of power to your Coach. You still get 50 Amp times 2.
Yellowstone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstone2 View Post
Check you Generator to see if it provides 220VAC for a Backup plan. I think the 8KW does not, but both the 10KW and 12KW will.

Missing 220VAC will not affect the amount of power to your Coach. You still get 50 Amp times 2.
He's not concerned about the coach and he likely has nothing bigger than a 5500 generator in his 23' Class C; more likely a 4K generator.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #54
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
It would not provide two 50 Amp capable hot legs at 240 VAC.

You’re right. It would instead provide two 30 amp hot legs. Again, my suggestion is to use this “in an emergency”. At least he would be able to power us car’s charger.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #55
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I wonder how well a 30 amp 240 volt service would work charging a car designed to accept 50 amp 240 volt service ?

If your lucky enough to pick 2, 30 amp outlets not on the same leg, to actually get 240 volts, its still 20 amps short and may trip the breakers.

I may be wrong but aren’t amps “pulled” by the device rather than “pushed” to the device? I really doubt his car charger actually uses 2 x 50 or 100 amps AC.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #56

Quote:
I may be wrong but aren’t amps “pulled” by the device rather than “pushed” to the device? I really doubt his car charger actually uses 2 x 50 or 100 amps AC.
You are correct. Amps are drawn for the lake of a better term. The charger uses 240 volts. Your RV uses 120. The charger cannot exceed 50 amps. The car charger uses 2- 50 amp on separate phases. It will draw close to 50 amps.

Tags
heat, heater, service