Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #1

Convert electric box & harness to 110v outlet

This junction box and wire harness (see images) was previously connected to a stock Winnebago electric reclining love seat (from what I was told) on my 2003 Winnebago Brave class A. It was located on the main slide out behind the driver.

The love seat has since been removed (by the previous owners) and I'd like to convert the remaining box and wires into a flush-to-wall 110v outlet, while hiding unneeded wires, if possible.

If even possible, what are the steps, tools, and parts needed for this job?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_093826.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	345456   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_100648.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	345457  

tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #2

Looks like 12VDC

Multiple plugs....each having only 2 wires----yellow and white
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #3

I agree the yellow and white wires are 12v. You need to post a picture of what's inside the box. And figure out what's on that circuit, and what you want use with the plug, it's doubtless 15 amps.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Was it a 120v powered seat or was it 12v? Did it work any time it only when plugged in or with the generator running? Taking a close look, the small plug on the white and yellow wires looks like 12v. Is that what powered the seat?

You might have 120v in that junction box and if you opened it and provided a pic, I could tell you which wires go where and what to buy, but there is no way to ensure the job is done to the standards necessary for safety. You can get all kinds of info on line, some of it probably good, but nothing replaces experience especially when working with electricity on a motor home.

If you do have 120v there, my advice would be to find someone with a good working knowledge of these things to help you through. Its easy and even enjoyable, and the task you propose is simple enough, but as a first time experience, I would advise you at least have your work supervised by a competent tech.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

R.Wold has it right. We need to see what is in the box. The white and yellow wires may be unrelated. The flexible black cable may be a 120 volt supply.

Open the box and check with a volt meter. You may find a black, white, and green wire inside that is not connected to anything. Check voltage from black to white and black to green.

If it is 120 volts for both, it is a matter of getting box and fittings for the new installation and knowing what is safe and effective.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #6

Thank you all kindly for your insight and advise. Here's what's inside the box. There is a lot going on to my eye , so unless one of you think it's less complicated than it looks I may be calling a RV tech for this one. If I can't turn it into a 120v outlet, I'd at least like to push the wires back and clean up the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211009_165647.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	345614  
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

Black, white and green. That is 120 VAC wiring.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
Thank you all kindly for your insight and advise. Here's what's inside the box. There is a lot going on to my eye , so unless one of you think it's less complicated than it looks I may be calling a RV tech for this one. If I can't turn it into a 120v outlet, I'd at least like to push the wires back and clean up the wall.
Now that will get you your 120v The easiest thing to do would be to get a cover plate that fits that box designed to hold an outlet and put your outlet right on top of that box. The down-side would be if its visible, it would look like garage wiring.

It would be good to see a wider view to understand just how ugly it is. You could always paint the box and cover plate and include an outlet and some USB ports - if you cant fix it, feature it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Black = HOT white = NEUTRAL and green = GROUND That is 120 VAC wiring.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
Those wires need to stay inside an electrical box. You cannot just push 120 back into the wall. (Unless you want to turn in a fire claim). In reality, that appears to be #14 Romex coming into the box.

In this case you could just use a standard household 20 amp outlet. The solid copper wire just pushes into the outlet, the outlet screws to the box, and the proper cover goes over it.

That is a double gang box and if you wanted to make it more presentable you could switch it out to a single. It would be half the size.

But in reality, before you do anything, you need to find out what else is on that circuit, where it comes from and what else it feeds. It’s likely just in line with more outlets, but you don’t want to just throw an outlet in there, plug in an electric heater and find out the microwave is on the same circuit.

RV outlets are way different than residential outlets. They are not wired through a box like homes are. They are completely self contained with a cover that snaps on the back and two levers that turn sideways when tightening to hold them in place.

Also, if you look closely, you can see the feed comes in, ties together with wire nuts, and goes out through the bottom. My guess would be the “live” coming in comes up through the floor and goes out through the side. But it might be the other way. Either way he needs to know where it comes from and where it goes.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Looks like 12VDC

Multiple plugs....each having only 2 wires----yellow and white
Take a closer look. The 12 v wires don’t go into the box. It looks like outdoor Romex going into the box.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #11

I see a heavy black cable containing black, white, green wires. The printing on the black sheath will tell you what size wire it is. It is likely 14 AWG and so 15 amp capacity, not 20 amp. Figure out which circuit breaker controls it and check the current capacity.

I see a lighter weight black cable in the bottom of the box. That may be to some appliance like an electric recliner. The wire is much smaller and so may have its own fuse somewhere in it. Look under the slide out for clues.

The bare copper wire may ground the metal box to the green wires. I can't quite see where it goes.

I would try to identify where the light weight black bottom cable goes. It may be disconnected somewhere, or it may power something. No telling what until you explore.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #12

The black cable leaving the box on the left is cord, so I would assume it powers something in the slide. The other cable, from the back, is probably NM (Romex) and is probably incoming power, though that could be reversed if the box is already in a slide.

There are two green insulated conductors plus the bare copper from the NM cable, with one of the two green conductors terminating at a screw at the back of the box, providing the box ground.

I would either leave it and put a single duplex receptacle plate on it, or replace it with a rounded corner 4” square surface box and raised cover with a single duplex receptacle, or replace it with a Wiremold type surface box (white or putty), either 2-gang or single-gang with single duplex receptacle.

That’s assuming the circuit isn’t maxed out already with some fixed load, like a microwave oven.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Simplest and safe thing to do is use a voltmeter and check the voltage at the wires rather and guess and depend on internet opinions.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Simplest and safe thing to do is use a voltmeter and check the voltage at the wires rather and guess and depend on internet opinions.

Ken

Best answer.

But would be quite surprising if three wires (black, white and green) were anything but 120 VAC.

Tags
electric