Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

How long do you run your generator?

How long do you run your generator each month?

With our older Generac, I was advised to run it, under load, about 1 hour each month to keep it running properly. With the new Onan/Cummins, our adviser told me we should be running it about 25 hours each month. That seems like a lot.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
1-2 hours per month. With the A/C (fans on Hi) and Fridge on. If I have the water connected, I also run the elect. hot water heater. I Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
1-2 hours per month. With the A/C (fans on Hi) and Fridge on. If I have the water connected, I also run the elect. hot water heater. I Hope this helps.
Same here. 1/2 load for 1-2 hours is all that's required.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I run it for as long as it takes to travel 4 miles from storage to the house, about 15 minutes. This is plenty to get new gas into the unit and to warm it up to operating temperature. I run everything that will run off of it. Also, shut stuff off for a couple of minutes before shutting it off. Never understood this hours of running.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

I was originally told the generator would last longer if it was put under load. But this 25 hour thing seemed a little excessive. Thanks everyone.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

I ran my Onan 6K for 3 hours today with 1/2 load. The MH was built in October of 2013 and only had one hour on the meter. So I just figured to give it a little extra. I've been told that 2 hours with 1/2 load, twice a month would be good.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've gone as long as 3 months without running the generator...of course, I have a good bit of Sta-Bil in the tank and gen. fuel system. Prime for fuel pressure and (knock on wood) it's never failed to start. Anytime I do any work to the RV, I'll run it for a couple of hours to make sure there's no moisture internally. IIRC, it's got about 230 hrs. on it and doing fine...again, that knocking sound on wood.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Wink

Since we use our MH every month, usually more than once, I exercise the 4Kw Generac at regular intervals. It is always run with a decent load and for at least 30 minutes, an hour is better. Often I am running the genny more for the generator's sake than for any lack of AC or battery charging.

When we bought our 2012 Class C, 7 months ago, it had 8.8 hours on the genny. now after 10,000 miles we are only up to 33 hours and most of our camping is done off the grid.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
I run it for as long as it takes to travel 4 miles from storage to the house, about 15 minutes. This is plenty to get new gas into the unit and to warm it up to operating temperature. I run everything that will run off of it. Also, shut stuff off for a couple of minutes before shutting it off. Never understood this hours of running.
It depends on the climate where you live. The benefit derived from running the gen for a significant period of time is NOT for the engine, but for the generator.

If you live in a wet climate, like I do in North Carolina, it takes considerable warmup time to get all moisture out of the unit.

I don't run mine often, but do run it for at least an hour when I do. It has worked for me for many years.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
During out last 3.5 months of not moving I ran it every 30 days. 10 minutes warm up at about 1/3 load, 30 minutes at nearly max load, 10 minutes at less than 1/3 load. Down here in the RGV it is relatively dry so I don't think I need more than that.

In prep for the time off the road I added 1.5 times the recommended maintenance dose of biocide and Stabil for diesel then filled the fuel tank up. Drove the MH for 15 minutes to the resort with the generator running at near peak load, gave it 10 minutes at minimum load to cool down while signing in and then shut down.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the past two years and 17K miles fulltiming I've logged just over 300 generator hours without a moment's problem. Four times we've been parked for six weeks or more. On only one occasion have I started the gen for exercise purposes, last winter after about two and a half months I ran it for about 45 minutes, since we had another two months before departure.

But fulltiming is a far different thing than seasonal use. Fulltiming makes it easier to keep machines healthy.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #12

I run mine one hour per month with two a-c/heat pump units on. If sitting more than two months than Sta-Bil in the gasoline tank.

With the new Onan/Cummins, our adviser told me we should be running it about 25 hours each month.

I have never heard of this requirement. Ask your adviser for documentation for 25 hrs per month. Please post if your are able to obtain this proof. Thanks!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have a manual? Onan says to run at least 2 hours each month at approximately 1/2 rated power if use is infrequent. A single 2 hour exercise period is better than several shorter periods. You can find a pdf of your manual online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCruiser View Post
How long do you run your generator each month?

With our older Generac, I was advised to run it, under load, about 1 hour each month to keep it running properly. With the new Onan/Cummins, our adviser told me we should be running it about 25 hours each month. That seems like a lot.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
First weekend of every month: We run our 7500 for an hour with just about everything turned on that is within easy reach. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator