Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 07:16 PM   #15

This is probably a result of my reading comprehension deficit, but I'm not clear on whether you're speaking of AGM batteries - i.e., flooded lead acid batteries that are built a bit better, with absorbent glass mats inside instead of simply a pool of water/acid - or the mondo-expensive lithium batteries.

The answer to your question is very different for the two choices.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 07:37 PM   #16

When a lead acid battery is to be stored , It should be fully charged at least overnight. The battery will be good in storage even at sub zero temps for up to 6 months. For longest life a lead acid battery should be fully charged as soon after it has been discharged. The cooler the battery , the longer it will last. A battery that sits outside in the cold disconnected will also discharge less than one sitting in a heated garage. If your RV is not going to be used for be sure to disconnect the battery. Lead acid batteries will handle a fairly wide range of temperatures and unless you are camping in sub zero temps , there is no need to heat them. Most non compensated chargers assume a battery temperature of 70 - 80 F.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #17

That is a whole lot of new info for me. Generally I thought the rule for battery storage was try to discharge to around 80% and then let it sit for a while.

Lead acid batteries must be stored fully charged for long service life. Fully charge lead acid batteries for 14 to 18 hours before storage. Abused lead acid batteries can benefit from 24 hours charging before storing.

Fully recharge stored lead acid batteries for 14 to 18 hours before terminal voltage drops bellow 12.4 volts.

AGM batteries are lead acid batteries. Store them fully charged.

LiPO4 batteries have a little longer life when stored at 80% SoC. Are you going to install LiPO4 batteries?

Re: temp compensating charger. I was just going to let the onboard charger handle it, although I've considered a DC to DC charger from my tow vehicle but not sure if that's wholly worth it if I have a gen and moderate solar array (200 w).

Do you charge your battery in freezing weather using a generator? Cold charging does not hurt your batteries. You may be able to charge a little faster, but not usually enough to worry about.

Do you charge your battery in temperatures above 90 degrees F?
If so, you may consider a temperature controlled charger.

Hot charging can be hard on your battery if you are using a fast charger. Charging voltages above 13.6 volts for long periods in hot temperatures can take some life out of the battery. People in desert environments need to consider hot charging.

Most low end RV built in chargers limit charging voltage to 14.4 for a few hours and then drop to 13.6 volts. This should be OK for most places.

You do not need a DC to DC charger for AGM batteries. The engine 12 volt charging system is already configured for Lead Acid batteries. AGM batteries are Lead Acid batteries.

You only need a DC to DC charger for LiPO4 batteries because the required charging profile and load dump characteristics of LiPO4 do not fit a standard engine 12 volt charging system.

Again re: the temp compensating charger. What do people usually do who don't even try to manage battery temps. I.e. those who just run tongue boxes? I was thinking the two stage temp regulator connected to heating pads would give me control over the activite heating and otherwise just let them swing with ambient temps like unheated batteries would do.

Again, you don't usually need active heating for lead acid batteries. Do you camp above the arctic circle? Do you store your batteries discharged?

Discharged lead acid batteries freeze relatively easily. Fully charge for more than 10 hours as soon as possible when temps are bellow freezing. 14 to 18 hours charging is required for longest service life even if it is not cold. Try to keep discharge above 50% state of charge when temps are below 0 degrees F.

You only need active heating in order to charge LiPO4 batteries below 40 degrees F.

You are way over thinking this issue. All the comments posted above are interesting, but not significant for most common lead acid battery charging.

Notice, none of the comments cite data showing how much battery life is expected to change. It may be true that temperature compensation is a better way to charge, but how much does it change battery life in normal RV'ing conditions?

Battery University https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

How does the Lead Acid Battery Work?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...d-battery-work

How do battery chargers work
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...-chargers-work

How to Charge and When to Charge?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...when-to-charge
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Storing Lead Acid Batteries.pdf (101.5 KB, 1 views)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #18

Soppy and Persistent (and others)

Thank you both so much for an excellent wealth of knowledge and patience with my inquires. I'm still going to move my batteries inboard to save a little tongue weight and to make them a bit more annoying to steal.

You're time is greatly appreciated!!

Tags
batteries