Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2020, 04:31 AM   #1

How to Manually Extend/Retract Entry Steps

Is there a way to manually extend or retract the entry steps of a motorhome when battery power is not available without pulling or pushing them?
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It depends on the type of steps. If they are air operated, then you could probably pull/push them in and out. If they are electric you will not be able to move them. The use a long threaded rod turned by a motor and they will not move on that rod without releasing the threads.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
It depends on the type of steps. If they are air operated, then you could probably pull/push them in and out. If they are electric you will not be able to move them. The use a long threaded rod turned by a motor and they will not move on that rod without releasing the threads.
Mine are electric. I do not have the original users manual so I have to figure it out myself!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:01 AM   #4

Are they "Kwik-EE" steps?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:57 AM   #5

I have electric Kwikee steps that have given me grief when least expected (would not retract after a lunch stop) and once had to go underneath and remove a small single cotter pin and then a larger drive pin that connects the motor linkage to the steps. Once that was out, I was able to tie the steps up with zip ties so that we could continue our trip. Very temporary, of course, but it worked.
pbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If they are electric steps there is nothing you can do manually to make them easy to use. You can take the clevis pin out of the of the arm that connects the motor to the steps. Be careful because they will swing free when the pin is removed. You can then pull them all the way out and block them in place with cribbing. When you want to travel you have to secure them up with tie wraps or a ratchet strap.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

kwikee steps...

Here's everything you could ever want to know about Kwikee electric steps...

here's the troubleshooting guide
https://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=52

here is the installation manual...
https://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=51

and finally, here's the owners guide.. https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=214

hope this works for you..
Brigitte
Old 07-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #8

Before I got mine repaired correctly I just partly removed the electric motor. Three 8mm bolts. As some as I pulled the motor away, they dropped rather suddenly. With the motor out they rocked back and forth in use which is pretty unsafe, so I bolted the motor back in to stabilize them.

Easy to do but unfortunately involves lying under the coach.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, steps