Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Jim

the female plug on my portable surge protector burned out and i want to hard wire it in instead of replacing the plug..i would prefer to go solderless..has anyone spliced the 30 amp shoreline power cord using twist on connectors or butt splice connectors..or any other way?..thanks..jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Jim

the female plug on my portable surge protector burned out and i want to hard wire it in instead of replacing the plug..i would prefer to go solderless..has anyone spliced the 30 amp shoreline power cord using twist on connectors or butt splice connectors..or any other way?..thanks..jim
Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #3

Wire nuts in a junction box would be my choice, clamp the cable within a few inches of the box.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Jim

that was one of my thoughts but i couldn't find anything like that in lowes or home depot..i figured that would withstand the amp flow heat the best..perhaps i wasn't looking in the right place so i'll try again..thanks..jim
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Use a PVC box and water proof cover with a Crouse Hinds CGB type cable restraint connector sized for the cable, then splice with wire nuts.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
Jim

are wire nuts the same as the twist on connectors..cone shaped plastic connectors with coiled wire inside..i was trying to find a junction box with posts or slots inside that you could fasten the wires with nuts or screws..is there such a thing?..thanks..jim
Old 09-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #7

The twist connectors you are talking about are wire nuts, different colors for different wire sizes.

I don't think you will find a box like you are looking for. The cable from the surge protector is fine strand and that won't work well wrapped around a screw, there needs to quite a bit of pressure to clamp the wire for long term reliability, fine strand kind of squishes out and doesn't make very good contact.

You will need to piece the box and clamps together, every installation is different, wire sizes, number of wires, etc.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use small "split bolts", rubber tape and electrical tape to make the connections. Split bolts are a U shaped threaded bolt that you lay the wires in and tighten down the nut. Wrap the connection with tape and you have a very positive connection.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #9

With solid wire, wire nuts are good. I would not use wire nuts with stranded wire. The split bolts mentioned above are much more secure.
rclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Jim

thanks for the replies..split bolts sounds like a good solid contact..i will check for the box and split bolts tomorrow and let you know how i make out..
Old 09-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #11

When I had to replace the end of my shore power cable, I found a connector at a big box store, maybe Home Depot). It is an inline connector for each conductor, for 10 gauge it was about a 1/4 inch diameter, 1 1/2 inches long. It had a double pointed ended bullet inside and screw on end caps that the conductor slipped through. Screwing down the end caps forced the cable end onto the conductive point, creating for me, a really tight joint. Never had a problem with them. I wrapped each with tape to insure waterproofing, then wrapped the three together for convenience.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
Jim

ken..the only thing i found similar to what you describe were the butt splicers..they are a small tube that you put a wire in each end and crimp them down..any chance you can get a part description or part number for what you used?..i bought the small ubolts but haven't used them yet..thanks..jim
Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #13

Last time I looked they were out of stock, but I'll try to get out there today and see.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ken, I did the next step to mine after doing what you did, I soldered the connection and used shrink wrapped in mine.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote