Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #1

Question How to use RV generator as home backup generator?

I have a 2006 HRN 36BST with Onan generator. Is there a kit to use the output to a home (switched) connection as input there? If not, is there a source on the way to do so? I will use a licensed electrician to do the work.

This would be to have as redundant generator backup to the home, only one would be possibly to use at a time, as appropriate and safe
ShawofNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #2

You would need switching equipment on your home and then some way to switch the feed from your generator between the RV and an External source.

Basically two switches. And your rv should already have one it uses. Not sure you would have enough room for it all.

What's your budget, because it might be more cost effective just to get a Natural Gas/Propane backup generator for your home.
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjames50 View Post
You would need switching equipment on your home and then some way to switch the feed from your generator between the RV and an External source.

Basically two switches. And your rv should already have one it uses. Not sure you would have enough room for it all.

What's your budget, because it might be more cost effective just to get a Natural Gas/Propane backup generator for your home.
I am looking for more specific equipment choices from some who has done this already. I do already understand the type of equipment needed.

As I mentioned this would be a redundant generator. I already have a generator in place.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #4

[QUOTE=ShawofNH;5870881{I will use a licensed electrician to do the work.

[/QUOTE]

If you are using an electrician, retain one, and tell them what you want to do and let them figure it out, rather than asking us. It can be done, in various different ways from full manual, to fully automatic. I did this on my last house, full manual (Hook up house to motorhome, start generator, throw manual transfer switch...) My way switched the whole house onto a 4kW generator and relied on my wife and me to manage the load.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

We intend to drag our MH from the storage lot to the house the next time Puget Sound Electric fails. However, the only electricity we care about is what it takes to run the refrigerator. Therefore, all we need is the 50’ outdoor extension cord straight to the reefer. Everything else is candles and blankets.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #6

No question, most simple and cost effective answer if you just need small loads like refrigerator is run an extension cord from the coach directly the the appliance.

As already said, to feed the whole house requires either a manual (my preference) or automatic disconnect to totally disconnect from the grid before using the generator. And, be very mindful of total amp load-- a house can certainly use more amps than your RV.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #7

I've heard some setup their RVs to share one generator among 1 or more other RVs. Same concept would be possible to share RV Generator power to home.

In the Prevost world it is known as a "Buddy Plug" a 50 Amp plug on the bus that is fed from the "donor's" generator to a buddy who plugs into that plug as if it were a pedestal. Of course you still only have the finite amount of power that can be produced by the Generator.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawofNH View Post
I have a 2006 HRN 36BST with Onan generator. Is there a kit to use the output to a home (switched) connection as input there? If not, is there a source on the way to do so? I will use a licensed electrician to do the work.

This would be to have as redundant generator backup to the home, only one would be possibly to use at a time, as appropriate and safe

just buy a seperate portable generator that is 5500kwh-7500 kwh. Simply plug in a extension cord and you have power. It will run fridge, freezer and lights, will not run ac for that yo uwill need a larger non portable generator like the Genrac from Home Depot. Genrac can run everyting in the house and will come on automaticaly during power failure. It will require professional installation but it is the safest way to go..a lot more money but safe.
LimoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #9

It is easily done; by tying into the generator output terminals and having an outlet (30 or 50 amp) that is correct amperage. I will be doing this in my from compartment for a power outage. I am in the tear down stage of rebuilding the basement of my coach. There is no need to do anything with the power management system. The generator is already fused for the correct amperage provided.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transfer switch energizing selected circuits and power inlet on house.

Power connection on motorhome. Typically at the transfer switch is an ameasy place to tap in.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #11

The correct way…. If there is such a thing. Would be to use a “buddy plug”. Like mentioned in an earlier post. Next have an electrician install a proper power inlet for a portable generator. It will need a transfer switch also. You will need a cord from the “buddy plug” which I am assuming is 50 amps 4 blade to the power inlet on the house which will be a 50 amp twist lock.
You may need to reconfigure the windings on the generator to provide 240 volts.
I also have an automatic house generator and I have considered this option with my setup. But I think in the end if the backup generator for the house went out I would just move to the coach and run a cord or two to the refrigerator and whatever else I would not want to be off.
BransonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
If you are using an electrician, retain one, and tell them what you want to do and let them figure it out, rather than asking us. It can be done, in various different ways from full manual, to fully automatic. I did this on my last house, full manual (Hook up house to motorhome, start generator, throw manual transfer switch...) My way switched the whole house onto a 4kW generator and relied on my wife and me to manage the load.

That is not the world I live in. I educate myself by asking questions, of people, including the electrician, and then research to fulfill my personal need to know. This is the process I have followed through life, it serves me well.

Sounds like you do not approve of my process, of always seeking to understand. So perhaps you should just ignore my post(s)?

Peace.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BransonM View Post
The correct way…. If there is such a thing. Would be to use a “buddy plug”. Like mentioned in an earlier post. Next have an electrician install a proper power inlet for a portable generator. It will need a transfer switch also. You will need a cord from the “buddy plug” which I am assuming is 50 amps 4 blade to the power inlet on the house which will be a 50 amp twist lock.
You may need to reconfigure the windings on the generator to provide 240 volts.
I also have an automatic house generator and I have considered this option with my setup. But I think in the end if the backup generator for the house went out I would just move to the coach and run a cord or two to the refrigerator and whatever else I would not want to be off.
Most of what you refer to are already in place. I was simply looking for information on the Onan generator output wiring to help the electrician get started.

I do understand your needs are not the same as mine, but thank you for your input.

I will just research the Onan generator directly, rather than ask if someone else has done this already. Seems like this is not the forum for such questions
Old 08-14-2021, 12:40 AM   #14

I am unsubscribing from this thread, thank you to those who provide information that I can research, such as the "buddy plug".

Tags
generator