Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

HWH 200 Series won't retract

I have a 1993 Fleetwood Coronado, Chevy P32 chassis with the HWH 200 Series manual leveling system. This is the one with the joystick and levers on each end for release. They lift up the motorhome just fine, but the release levers don't do anything all of a sudden. I've removed the manual plugs on the jacks, and they eventually go up once all the fluid drains out, but the inside release valve does nothing. I've got the service manual, but don't see this particular problem addressed. On a few posts, I've seen something about a shuttle valve, but was wonding if anyone has had this problem and resolved or did troubleshooting on it successfully. I called HWH, waited 2 weeks for a call-back, and when they finally called back, they were less than helpful.

Also, if anyone is expert on this system, can you offer an explanation of how this joystick control box works? I see 8 screw in plugs at the bottom of it. Are those some kind of electrical switches, or some kind of hyrdraulic valves? The ones for raising the motorhome in the middle of the box seem to have much more travel available from the pins in the center of them than the ones for lowering the motorhome. There's also some kind of electrical circuit board attached to the center 4 plugs, which sparks a little when you start to engage the pump to raise the MH. What's that all about? I saw a video on YouTube about cleaning that all up in there, so I guess I'll try that, but it sure would be helpful to know how this system works before I go fiddling around in there. Can I take the outside plugs out and clean them, since they seem to be the ones that are not functioning? I haven't thoroughly read the service manual yet, but in looking through it, there are lots of troubleshooting procedures (except for this problem), but not much explanation of how everything works.
micoviso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
Commercial Member

i can help. please call me at 602-549-3638. i live in arizona, and work for hwh. if you download a service manual from our website, www,hwh.com, there is a diagram of the control that explains the function. if you want, i can email you a manual
i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum. i do diagnostics
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Here's the culprit

The plastic box that provides the release handles leverage to push the pins down that release pressure in jacks broke off at the bottom and allowed the box to rise in relation to the valve body... i.e. no leverage to push the pins down.

Thanks to AZPETE for helping me figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750[1].jpg
Views:	87
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	139042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1751[1].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	139043  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752[1].jpg
Views:	68
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	139044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1753[1].jpg
Views:	83
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	139045  

Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Glad he was able to help you. I see you have it apart. I had to take my 210 system apart so I have pixs of the valve body and board. If you need them I will post them.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #5

No, my board and valves seem to be fine. That box lifted right out because A) the bottom was missing, and B) the two bolts that go through the valve body had no nuts on them to hold the plastic box tightly in place. From the grime on the bolt threads, I'm guessing it was this way from the time the coach was built, and I guarantee that this is what caused the box to break and lift. A careless Fleetwood employee forgot to secure that box, and it came back to bite me 23 years later.

Azpete is going to help me get a replacement box, but in the mean-time, I put the old box back in, secured it with those bolts and some huge fender washers, and the jacks are now fully functional. Obviously, the broken box will be replaced as soon as I can acquire a new one.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micoviso View Post
No, my board and valves seem to be fine. That box lifted right out because A) the bottom was missing, and B) the two bolts that go through the valve body had no nuts on them to hold the plastic box tightly in place. From the grime on the bolt threads, I'm guessing it was this way from the time the coach was built, and I guarantee that this is what caused the box to break and lift. A careless Fleetwood employee forgot to secure that box, and it came back to bite me 23 years later.

Azpete is going to help me get a replacement box, but in the mean-time, I put the old box back in, secured it with those bolts and some huge fender washers, and the jacks are now fully functional. Obviously, the broken box will be replaced as soon as I can acquire a new one.
Wow. Glad you got it working.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh