Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

HWH 610 Leveling Systems

Probably covered before but I couldn't find it...

Need to replace the feet and springs on my front jacks...which jacks does this system version use? They are straight-acting pivot cylinders with spring retract. Not sure if I have the 6k or 8k variant; the feet on the rear jacks are square, not round, if that helps.
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
HWH as a lot of resources on the interwebs.

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml11428toc.html

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml1681.pdf

Google Search

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

If the springs you have are not "tapered" near the hooks you need to change them. Mine were all still original and weren't that expensive. Another source is "Stewart's Services" HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
Why do you need to replace the feet?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #4

When I bought this battleship, those feet weren't there. Two thirds of the springs were still hanging from their spots on the jack cases, that was it.

This is an exercise in bringing everything back to spec.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #5

Ah, I see. I was in the same spot although most has been replaced now.
One thing I noticed on mine was that my fronts have the "round" plate but someone welded a 12" sq 1/4" steel plate onto the bottom, so now I don't need to carry blocks. They even bent the front sides up a little to deflect hitting something. Maybe it was an option on the coach? Rears are the same.
If you want to be able to talk to someone without delay, Chuck (Owner) at Stewarts is a wealth of knowledge. I bought my springs and new tank/pump from him. I got my solenoids rebuilt by HWH.
I'm happy with the 610 system.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Kewl. Multi gratia (or spelling to that effect...)!
Old 02-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #7

Sorry...been a little slow on the updates...

HWH was able to figure out model of spring and foot and ship 4x and 2x directly to me. Got 'em on (that saga is in another thread) and successfully tested system.

Interestingly, I found out that a lot of folks don't think HWH quality is what it used to be. I couldn't say one way or the other, but the folks at the shop were top notch and deserve props & kudos.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

I think their quality is fine. I do think back in '97 they could have done better on their circuit boards (even they agree to that) but otherwise it is fine for me.
Glad you got it fixed. Getting the springs on is a little struggle though, huh?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I remember posts about the hose quality and issues the poor hoses caused. I did a quick search of the topic "HWH hoses and this is what turned up.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Getting the springs on is a little struggle though, huh?
Ummmm......you could say that...

My 8 year old daughter helped me spread the springs with metal washers, but even then the doggoned feet were resisting me, even with TWO prybars. It took another gent with ANOTHER prybar to tap the shoes on. Otherwise, though, it was pretty straightforward.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The old wooden clothes pins work well for expanding the spo
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporietis View Post
The old wooden clothes pins work well for expanding the spo
Also a bit more secure than washers that could slide out! I'm glad it worked for ArgoPilot, but clothespins are a bit safer.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoPilot View Post
Ummmm......you could say that...

My 8 year old daughter helped me spread the springs with metal washers, but even then the doggoned feet were resisting me, even with TWO prybars. It took another gent with ANOTHER prybar to tap the shoes on. Otherwise, though, it was pretty straightforward.
LOL!!
I remember Paul (AzPete) telling me he can change all 4 sets of springs in less than an hour - he has like 30 years experience doing them though and he made a special tool for them. He uses a 1/2 square piece of tubing and notches one end (to hook onto a ledge or frame, etc) and then drilled a hole and used a "S" hook to hook into the coil.
It took me and a buddy with 2 thin prybars about an hour per jack, maybe less when they cooperated. We drilled a hole in each bar about in the middle and used the "S" wire from a rubber bungy cord to hook into the coil at about a third up - this allowed us to pull down and then tilt the end to hook into the feet. We were not blazing along by any means.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
LOL!!
I remember Paul (AzPete) telling me he can change all 4 sets of springs in less than an hour - he has like 30 years experience doing them though and he made a special tool for them. He uses a 1/2 square piece of tubing and notches one end (to hook onto a ledge or frame, etc) and then drilled a hole and used a "S" hook to hook into the coil.
It took me and a buddy with 2 thin prybars about an hour per jack, maybe less when they cooperated. We drilled a hole in each bar about in the middle and used the "S" wire from a rubber bungy cord to hook into the coil at about a third up - this allowed us to pull down and then tilt the end to hook into the feet. We were not blazing along by any means.
Can anybody post a pic of Paul's (AzPete) or anyone's homemade tool to install these springs ?

Tags
ems, hwh, leveling