Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #1

HWH jacks: one won't extend, the other won't retract

Up until now my jacks were working OK except the right front is a bit slow to retract, sometimes have to wipe down the cylinder and give it another try, especially in cold weather. Also the right rear jack probably has a little leak based on the oily crud on the landing pad. But, working up until recently.

Couple of weeks ago, when auto-leveling, the left rear jack extended all the way, right rear jack didn't extend at all, system shut down with "extreme slope" warning. I hit "store" but the left rear jack wouldn't retract. Finally got it going by doing a hard reset (turn off 12v and wait a minute) and then holding the down button for the rear jacks.

Did it again next stop, this time twisting the frame so much I couldn't get the door open (!). Fortunately I left the window open, was able to access the control panel and get it going by pressing the down button.

Following the troubleshooting guide, the control box LED's were correct. I was getting 11v at the connector for the left rear solenoid. Voltage was bouncing around, which (initially) I thought was because I was having a hard time getting good contact with my voltmeter.

I put in a new solenoid and the system worked fine a couple of times, now it's doing it again intermittently. I can usually get it working by either jiggling the wires, unplugging/replugging the right rear solenoid, or doing a hard reset. Unclear if any of those things are helping or if it's just random.

My theory is, it's a wiring problem, with intermittent low voltage to the right rear solenoid (which I *think* can cause the left rear jack to stop retracting, if I'm understanding the manual correctly) but can't get away from the idea it might be the control box. Thoughts?

To be clear, I'm probably gonna bring it in to Lazy Days, gotta replace a couple of jacks anyway. But, would like some idea of what's going on before I give em a blank check basically. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: looks like a 625
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #2

I replaced the original springs with new stronger ones from HWH which took care of the retraction problems. If they're not extending, check your hydraulic fluid level.

Always check the level with the jacks retracted in the travel position.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #3

There are utube videos on changing your own springs.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #4

I have the new (tapered) springs. Beyond that, the jack in question had about 27,000 lbs of pressure on it. I think the solenoid was closed (and of course didn't think to open it while I was climbing in thru the window that day)

That said, fact it will manually retract, but not auto-retract, makes me think right rear solenoid, as (apparently) those are wired in series during the auto-retract cycle. Having replaced that, suspect problem is upstream, either in wiring or control box

Guess I could clean the ground, if I can find it... isn't it supposed to be on the side of the manifold or something?
Old 11-18-2021, 05:15 AM   #5

Dave I would start by checking the main ground at the HWH system. Usually the ground is created by the mounting bolts to the frame. I would start there and loosen, clean and retighten to make sure that ground is sound. Any other ground wires connecting to the HWH system should be cleaned and tightened.
From what I've read here a poor ground causes HWH (and Intellitec) to do weird stuff. I even ran (per Azpete's recommendation - he works for HWH and helps people on this forum) a separate ground from the pump motor to the frame to make sure I had a good ground (See attached pic - orange wire).

That was 5 years ago and haven't had a problem since on our 610 system. Yes I have some lazy jacks sometimes but I think the seals in the jacks are getting old and stiff. I plan to make an appt at HWH factory next year to have all the jacks rebuilt.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
I have the new (tapered) springs. Beyond that, the jack in question had about 27,000 lbs of pressure on it. I think the solenoid was closed (and of course didn't think to open it while I was climbing in thru the window that day)

That said, fact it will manually retract, but not auto-retract, makes me think right rear solenoid, as (apparently) those are wired in series during the auto-retract cycle. Having replaced that, suspect problem is upstream, either in wiring or control box

Guess I could clean the ground, if I can find it... isn't it supposed to be on the side of the manifold or something?

On mine, the auto-retract switch had gone bad and replacing that fixed the problem.

Tags
hwh, jacks