Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #1

HWH Leveling Help!

Greetings all! I just bought a 2003 Four Winds Class C that came with an HWH Series 225 hydraulic leveling system (joystick model). The system didn't work, as declared by the seller. When I first looked at it, there were no lights on the panel. I found that the 5amp fuse was blown, so I replaced it. Now the lights come on, but the pump won't engage. After looking at the pump, it looked like someone tried to replace the pump relay with the wrong part. It looked different than the one that comes with it. I bought a replacement relay and installed it. Now, when I engage any of the jacks, I can hear a 'tick' like the pump is trying to engage, but the pump doesn't run.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Tim_mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 03:11 AM   #2

Is the manual switch on where he could crank them down manually? Do you have plenty of fluid in system? My first two guesses.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

We have a member, azpete, who works for HWH and has been very helpful with our problems. Hopefully he will see your post, or you could PM him!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #4

If it was mine, I would loosen the mounting bolts where the reservoir/pump/pump motor assembly (assy) mounts to the frame. I would clean the mounting points and retighten the bolts, tight. If you see ground wires coming from the assy going to the frame remove/clean and re-land the grounds tightly. Most problems on HWH systems are from poor grounds and poor connections. You found a blown fuse - you didn't find the problem, you found the protection for the assy. High resistance due to poor connections can cause high current draws that blow fuses.
Do you have the operators manual for the assy? ML29511 – HWH® Corporation
I've read here that you may need to clean the contacts that the joystick make as you move the joystick.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #5

So you need to make sure that the pump is getting voltage. Put a meter on the two leads on the pump motor. Get someone to engage the system. If no voltage go to the relay and see if it is getting voltage to make the relay connect. I had to replace my pump motor at one time. Not an easy job on my coach because of its location.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:54 PM   #6

Latest Updates

Thank you all for your helpful comments! I think the general census is to clean and re-seat group and positive connections around the pump. That absolutely could have contributed to the blow fuse, that's why I mentioned it.

Next time I get to work on it, I'm going to start cleaning the connections, and grab some photos of what I'm seeing. I'll keep posting updates to this comment in hopes that when I do finally fix it, what I learn will help someone else.

Thanks again to eveyone!
Old 01-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #7

Fixed!

I finally figured it out! If I had to sum it up to one problem, I'd say that is was that I assumed the last guy that worked on this knew what he was doing. After disconnecting and cleaning all terminals with a wire brush and steel whool, I still couldn't get voltage to my meter. I traced the hot wire to the pump and found it went to the deep cycle battery, however, once I pulled the battery out, it was connected to the negative side of the battery. I simply moved the cable to the positive side, and after having the right relay, the damn thing works!

Thanks again for everyone's comments. That helped a lot.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_mobile View Post
I finally figured it out! If I had to sum it up to one problem, I'd say that is was that I assumed the last guy that worked on this knew what he was doing. After disconnecting and cleaning all terminals with a wire brush and steel whool, I still couldn't get voltage to my meter. I traced the hot wire to the pump and found it went to the deep cycle battery, however, once I pulled the battery out, it was connected to the negative side of the battery. I simply moved the cable to the positive side, and after having the right relay, the damn thing works!

Thanks again for everyone's comments. That helped a lot.
Yeah, that happens a lot. Glad you figured it out.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, leveling