Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 06:04 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
HWH slide cylinder failure

We have a 2019 Tiffin Allegro Breeze. On a month long trip and our P/S slide won’t extend. The rear part of the slide begins to move but the front part (behind the p/s seat) does not budge. I immediately release the switch as to not bind the slide and then retract the back section. I only let it move 3 or 4 inches.
Anyway....it has bees diagnosed by the Tiffin tech as a bad “cylinder” and essentially confirmed by a field tech at a campground on the road. Tiffin is sending us the part and hopefully I can get it installed at our next stop.
Has anybody else experienced a cylinder failure on a HWH slide? All solenoids are good.
Thanks
Putter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #2

At HWH Website

At the HWH website they have detailed instructions on how to replace one of two hydraulic rams. How to bleed system, etc. Might be a good idea to have it when you pick a shop to install the new ram.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I think cylinder failures are very rare and yours is the first I have read about. The most common problem is just seal leaks.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #4

...have to ask--what would constitute a cylinder failure?????....maybe the pressure valve/switch on top?????.... its a pretty simple mechanism…..so leaks--yes; but fail--not so much??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Starseker, getting the instructions from the HWH website sounds like a great idea. I will definitely do that.
There are no leaks anywhere in the system that myself or the field tech could find. His diagnosis was the same as the phone tech from Tiffin. Cylinder failure. So Old Scout I would define the failure as the part or system not acting properly, producing the intended result, or in this case failing to extend one side of the slide while the other side is functioning and extending properly.
Does that answer your 16 yes 16 question marks????????????????
Old 08-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Commercial Member

i would think it was a sync cylinder, instead of a room cylinder.
but lets wait till the new cylinder is installed.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #7

Yup--that was my thinking as well but I used too many "question marks" [smile]….worst case, OP gets a new cylinder and a new equalizer tube?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
So the vertical cylinder in the slide (not the hydraulic cylinder with the solenoids) was replaced yesterday and all works perfectly. The one that was replaced was locked right as could be. We also noticed that the slide seems to be moving more smoothly. Maybe the gears in the old cylinder were not meshing perfectly which eventually lead to it not working. In any event we are back in business with HWH part number AP 56832 being replaced.
Putter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
Commercial Member

AP56832 is the sync cylinder
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
AZpete,
Then you are correct. I am unfamiliar with the different names of the different cylinders but that was the part number that did the trick. Thanks for your expertise. You helped me out previously with a Valid Air question. We actually spoke on the phone and you sent me contact info for Valid and the Spyder system. Thanks again. There is real value in the exchange of info on this forum.
Stan

Tags
hwh, slide