Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
My OT Thermostat and Control Thermostat both have the screw terminal strip. Made sure they were good and tight. Ran about 24 hours without issues so far.
I am planning on reviewing the burner control unit connectors checking crimps, cleaning with contact cleaner. I am about 5 days without faults so far.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	AquaHot connectors.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	309604

Used laptop to upload picture of my connectors. the two darker ones, on the right, where on the diesel control thermostat. the lighter colored ones where on the high temperature thermostat for the diesel side.

Next time i crawl in there will take contact cleaner and reseat the mechanical relays after cleaning them. Noticed I said not if but when. If this fix I just did makes it work will actually go the next step and do the relays.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #31

I'm following along because it's these types of problems that I end up with (even if I don't yet have a coach with AH).

Steve, your troubleshooting with data accumulation equipment is way, way cool. You're doing something that is most likely unavailable at any RV dealer's service dept. and that AquaHot probably only does in the lab.

I hope you arrive at a definitive diagnosis. Thanks for 'showing your homework'!

Terry, those are some nasty looking terminals. Good catch, and I think you're spot on to do the relay service, too.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #32

FYI on an intermittent non diesel firing, that plagued us off and on for 2 years.

Various symptoms:
- Inside Diesel Light would go on fine, but burner would not fire
- Inside Diesel Light would go on fine, burner would fire up the first time, but then the Diesel Light would go out, and no more firing up of the burner
- Inside Diesel Light would not to on, when the switch was activated. And burner would nor fire up
- Inside Diesel Light would go on, and the Burner would consistently fire, multiple times over a few week period
(I'll stop here, but key word is 'intermittent' combinations of Burner behavior.)

Over a two year period, I did lots of work myself. And, we had three good shops with good tech's, as well as an four independent AH/HH certified Tech's, look at the problem. Replaced many parts over this two years...

What did it finally turn out to be? Well, Dave, a Tech at Oregon Motor Coach - serviced the HH (HydroHot 500 series, basically same as AH450's.). He called me out into the shop, to show me what he'd found.

The wire harnesses plugs that go form the controller and the burner, get unplugged during service. Male/Female Plugs. The wires going into the plugs, were 'punch in' connections. One of he wires had partially become 'punched in', and was close enough that at times it would connect well and work. And at times it was not close enough to make contact and work. Punched back in all of he way, and the unit worked flawlessly since then. (Now, just a casual look at the harness, and seeing all of the wires going into the connection, you would not see the loose connection. Dave took the time to inspect each wire, until he noticed that wire had about 3/8" of pare metal visible, where when punched in securely, most wires you could sometimes see no bare metal.)

So as we would be driving, vibration would sometimes have the wire end in a close enough contact to work well, other times not. Sometimes it was close enough to work, but then vibration of the blower was enough to knock just loose enough to not make contact a second time. Etc!

By the way, OMC had serviced the unit once before, as one of the places who I'd asked to help solve the problem. NOT A KNOCK, as it was not the norm...

So, just FYI sharing...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Terry, Those are some rough looking connectors. Replacing and dielectric sounds like a good idea.

Thanks Solo, I am determined to get to the root of the problem. Given the intermittent nature I knew better monitoring of the the system was needed.

Smitty, I am a little concerned with the “C” connector harness, checked price on one today and it was over $200. So my plan is to inspect, clean and add dielectric. This harness could be part of the problem. The flame sensor circuit could fault with a questionable connection or damaged wire as resistance change is how it works normally.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #34

Steve, curious - are you an EE? good diagnostics going on here.
If problem continues, maybe resolder the controller PCB? Maybe a cold solder somewhere making it intermittent / heat related.

Are you using an Analog to Digital interface for the monitoring? Wifi to a MQTT application that is filling a database? What are you using for a user interface? Red Node?

I am in the middle of cleaning up / modernizing my wetbay. After that, the HydroHot automation is on the list of upgrade projects.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
HydroHot/AquaHot Diesel Burner

Dav L
No, not an EE just been tinkering with electronics for 40 years.
The data collection device is using an ESP8266 based device the custom PCB/circuit just has some opto couplers to keep the high voltages away from the 3.3v microcontroller. It is strictly digital for this setup. I did build a custom PCB with some analog inputs for my smoker monitor. The temp monitoring modules just use a temp and humidity sensor communicating via a 1-wire bus.
Learning to design and build the custom circuits is something I did with my job as an High Speed assembly Automation engineer. I needed special devices for them and decided to just build on my own.

All these are wifi devices and communicate to my personal MQTT servers.
RV has its own server to queue data and send to main MQTT server.
Each of the MQTT servers use Mosquitto for MQTT and Telegraf to resend the data either to database or RV->Main server.
Main MQTT server also has InfluxDB database and Graphana for parsing and displaying data.
Both MQTT servers reside on Raspberry Pi’s.

My main temp/humidity screen from Graphana.

Name:	IMG_5169.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	309676
Old 11-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a graph showing the temps and HydroHot Cycling past 24 hours.
Heat Pumps are on and set to 64°, as the outside temp drops the furnace/HydroHot kicks in at around 35°.

Name:	IMG_5170.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	309681
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
The HydroHot is still performing well. Had some chilly nights and the temp inside and wet bay remained consistent. I did discover a bad spade connector crimp on one of the circulation pumps. In the spring I may replace all of them. With the temps now remaining low I may go ahead and winterize and put the RV to bed till early spring. Still some cleanup and inspection of wiring but feel that it is now working as it should.

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	310097
Old 12-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you for all your testing & posting, Steve. So am I correct in assuming the major culprit was the OT thermostat?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I really think there were a couple problems. OT for sure was one of them as frequency of faults dropped way off when I jumpered it out of the system. Been almost a week with new OT installed.
The other issue is one of below.
Flame sensor Dirty although it looked clean.
Spark electrodes were adjusted but only 1/32”
Loose wire connection or damaged wire in Webasto wire harness as it was disconnected when flame sensor cleaned.

I am going to review the wire harness closely in the spring as it is getting too cold and need to put coach in storage.

It is sure nice to see it running well now!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Seven days and counting since last failure of Aqua-Hot.

Those darn terminals I replaced where the trouble.

Sure nice to have the Aquahot back and working with just having to feed it diesel.

Good luck and I will check and clean the other connectors also.

Terry

Hanging out in Lower Mainland of British Columbia for the winter so need the heat as we only have 30 amp service.
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post

It is sure nice to see it running well now!
Nice job with the diagnostics!!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #42

I wish this forum had a thumbs up button!

This is a great thread!

Thanks to Steve and everyone else for some great troubleshooting. I'd think you were all vietnam era navy FTM's!

Mine is an ah400d, in a 2017 coach.

Constant problems since I bought it a year old.

First intermittent Aquahot problem was a flaky main thermostat. Rather than going bamm I'm hot, it "flickered" sometimes. This made the wabasto nuts and it shut down.

Next was a bad blower/pump motor, hopefully just a random failure.

Then an AC hi limit switch failure. This is bypassed, I don't see any way to actually replace it.

Recently I had a low level error. Both dc lo level sensors were tripped. Took 2 gallons to fill it!
But it is maintaining level now and no sign of a leak ?

And I'm still struggling with the deisel burner randomly shutting down.

Wondering if updating from the black box to the new one will fix it?
$1000 hit!
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel