Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Hymer Aktiv / Promaster 2500 battery 'problem'

I put problem in quotes because for all I know it could be something I am doing. But I am stumped. I have had the chassis battery die twice now while the van has been sitting on the driveway. The Aktiv manual states the following:

"Your chassis engine alternator charges your chassis battery and is completely separated from the added underhood generator that charges the coach batteries. The systems are separate so that when using electricity in your coach you will never run down your chassis battery. This is important so that your chassis battery is always fully charged and ready to start the vehicle engine. "

So it can't be anything in the coach that I have left on. I have gone over the Promaster 2500 electronics and cannot see anything that I might have left on. But something is draining the chassis body.

Has anybody else experienced this and if yes, have you been able to figure out what is draining the battery?

Thanks
AktivCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #2

How long does it sit? There are still things that are connected to the chassis bat that will draw it down. Nature of modern vehicles and the added features that draw power, even a little will draw down a battery.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #3

Hi A32Deuce. Thanks for the reply. It hasn't been driven for about five weeks. It has been started and idled a few times (mostly while reading the Promaster manual and experimenting with some of the features I was reading). It was perfectly fine for about four weeks and then about a week ago it was stone dead. I ran a 6 amp trickle charger on it for a day and it was fine. Then this morning, it wouldn't start although it would light up the console and the radio came on. I have the trickle charger on it again.

I wouldn't think sitting for that period of time would present a problem. My wife and I have done quite a number of two to three week trips away from home where neither of our cars were used and they started instantly - just as though they had been driven the day before - when we came home. And as noted above, the manual indicates the two electrical systems (chassis and coach) are completely separate.

Is there any particular system or component you were thinking of when you mentioned things being connected to the chassis battery?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #4

Radio memory, computer, clock, passive alarm, just a few things that are on. My pickup at home, when away maybe low when I go to start, depending how long we have been gone. I generally have vehicles that are not with me on a battery tender. I even carry one with me for the rv when gone for months.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

I recommend removing the battery and having it tested. It’s been dead twice since you’ve had it and who knows how many times before your purchase? The battery may no longer be capable of accepting and holding a charge.

A battery tender is a good idea. If power is not available there are solar options. Lastly, remove the battery and keep in charged in the garage. Is there a “chassis battery disconnect” switch? Typically CO2 and LPG monitors will remain powered even with the switch in the off position.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #6

Hi all. Thought I would provide an update for anybody looking at this thread with a similar problem in the future.

I had the van in for a check. They ran a three hour diagnostic on the electrical system. The only problem was the battery, which they replaced.

They did suggest disconnecting the battery when storing for the winter.

BTW, there is no chassis battery disconnect switch. There are terminals for the battery under the hood, but the actual battery is under the floor below the driver's feet.

Thanks to everybody that replied!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #7

I thought that the faulty battery was the end of it but later in the summer I had the same thing happen. I took it back to the dealership. They ran a diagnostic on the electrical system. Apparently a RAM Promaster 2500 will have various components (such as the clock) that draw 50mA and the battery is expected to go dead after 20 days of van inactivity. I found this quite surprising because my car (four years old) has sat for longer than that, in colder weather, and started like a charm.

Anyway, they ran another diagnostic and found that there was a 65mA to 150mA draw; even after disconnecting all the van fuses. So there is a parasitic draw. I opted for a $90 battery tender rather than spending $500 for them to run diagnostics!

The Aktiv manual says the coach electrical system is completely separate from the chassis electrical system, but clearly that is not true. It occurred to me that the Aktiv 'volt start' system has to be integrated with chassis electrical system to work. So that might be the problem.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tags
battery, problem