Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I have never had a problem with my RV fridge

I need some of you good folks help.

Forgive me, I practice science, and although I have an emotional side of my brain, I try and be like Spock from Star Trek and think with my logical side of my brain.

Here is the emotional statement I have heard many times while helping folks with their RV frridge issues:

" I have never had a problem with my ______ fridge. "

Where, ______ can be Dometic or Norcold absorption fridge.

This statement comes at the end of the person describing some kind of issue that they need help with. Often they tell me:

" well I replaced the original cooling unit with an aftermarket cooling unit "

So here is the question I need some help with:

1) Are they saying that they never had a problem, or are they saying that they replaced the cooling unit for fun?

2) Are they asking for help for a friend that is too emotional and sensitive to speak?

What is up, I need some counsel And how would you respond to this kind of RV fridge question/comment

Paul and Mao, working for fun and profit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2023, 04:30 PM   #2

Well.......I have never had a problem until I did

Simple.......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:07 PM   #3

The people that have never had a problem also never had a temp sensor to monitor the temp swings. "Problem" is relative
Old 02-01-2023, 06:18 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend
1) Are they saying that they never had a problem, or are they saying that they replaced the cooling unit for fun?
Perhaps not for fun but rather as preventative or proactive. If I were buying a used coach older than a 2013 or so I'd consider replacing the cooling unit proactively. Heat and thermal cycling have a way of making old things fail.

Some people near us this season have been full timing for almost two years and said they considered replacing the fridge when they bought their 2008 DP but did not.

Recently their four-door Norcold failed and triggered the recall box, which very fortunately someone had had done. They reset it with a magnet and it tripped again.

Yup, yellow residue around the stack.

Their fridge failed about two weeks ago and they're waiting on a new cooling unit to be delivered to the mobile tech and semi-kicking themselves for not just installing a new fridge when they bought the motorhome in 2020 and still lived in a house.

They've been living out of a few coolers and someone here has a DP with a basement freezer that they're being allowed to use.

Ray
Old 02-01-2023, 07:11 PM   #5

Well I never had a problem with my fridge, it worked better than most I hear about with the freezer getting down to about 4 degrees and the fridge would get below 32 if I set it to low.

That said I replaced it anyway, with a 12 volt Dometic 4101. I considered all of my options and got a good deal on the Dometic. I can run it for 3 days on just batteries if I want to push it. Generator time and solar indefinately.

Had I not replaced the 22 year old fridge your fridge defend would have been one of my additions.

Put the old one on craigslist for free and had 6 people wanting it in less than 6 hours.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend View Post
So here is the question I need some help with:

The person says they replaced a cooling unit.
You ask why.
They tell you "because the fridge wasnt cooling"

That answers all your questions. It wasnt replaced for fun. Its clear they indeed had a problem, and still have a problem and wrote you, but are saying they "never had a problem" for years prior. Trying to help the person troubleshoot knowing its a new issue. The appliance was solid for a long time. Changed nothing. Now its acting funny and the new cooling unit didnt work.

Its possible when a person says "i have never had a problem" is because they want to relate the care and awareness they have using the appliance. Its not their fault its broken.

I still dont see why you dont respond to the people with "you mean its never had a problem until recently when you installed the new cooling unit right?"
wopachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:40 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

What is a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Perhaps not for fun but rather as preventative or proactive. If I were buying a used coach older than a 2013 or so I'd consider replacing the cooling unit proactively. Heat and thermal cycling have a way of making old things fail.

Ray

Thanks for the responses, I guess the context of the person making the statement "I never had a problem" would have to be taken into account.

To replace a functioning cooling unit as "preventative or proactive" measure would be solving a perceived problem. A properly designed boiler, with proper controls "either pressure and/or temperature" will insure a very long service life against cyclic thermal fatigue. We have absorption fridge that were made in the year 1937 that work to this day. But we have had problems with burners, controls, and other components.

I very much appreciate this perspective:

" Its clear they indeed had a problem, and still have a problem and wrote you, but are saying they "never had a problem" for years prior. "

It is very possible that this is what they are saying? It just comes across strange to me that "never" is absolute. And, "problem" is what the contact is about.

"Preventive" is to anticipate a problem, and apply a solution before the problem occurs. Thus, one has to know of the problem in the first place.

Could it be that I am being told that "I have never had a problem because I have anticipated all of them and solved them before they became a problem." If this is true, then we would never have problems in life.

Thanks for the insight, looking forward to any other observations out there.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:13 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Never had an issue with our Dometic NDA1402.

Yes it warms up a few deg driving down the road (probably due to being in a slide).

Finally got around to installing your Fridge Defend last year !
Old 02-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #9

A simple reply to their inquiry would get you your answers.

Obviously they either have a problem now, OR they are reaching out to you to perhaps buy one of your Fridge Defend products so that they don't develop any issues in the future. Either way, I'm sure you'll be able to help them.

-Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:14 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
A simple reply to their inquiry would get you your answers.

Obviously they either have a problem now, OR they are reaching out to you to perhaps buy one of your Fridge Defend products so that they don't develop any issues in the future. Either way, I'm sure you'll be able to help them.

-Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for your confidence We do our best

The reason I reached out to the community is that the context of the statement: "I never had a problem with my fridge"

1) They are contacting us so solve a problem, thus the statement inconstant with the nature of the contact.

2) When I suggest our product for troubleshooting, this is when they say that they never has a problem. So, no they are not interested in failure prevention and safety, at least this is how they come across to me at the time.

We do our best to help folks through education and extensive experience.

Thanks for your input, Paul and Mao
Old 02-06-2023, 11:23 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I ask dumb questions, or provide dumb answers, you will have to forgive me.
I went to public school.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, problem