Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
JRW

I went deer hunting and took my 78 30ft Wilderness 5er and stayed in it for 3 days, the outside temp never got above 40F. At night the temp dropped down into the mid to upper 20's. I have only this 5er a little over a year and this is the first time I need the furnace. Here is the problem, the blower on the furnace runs on 12V's and it runs down my battery in about a day because the furnace ran so much. Where I was parked I was able to plug into elec and I did think to take my battery charger and was able to keep my battery charged but I am looking to run my furnace from a 12V sorce like some AC to DC power pack. I am not going to change out my furnace because it works too good so if anybody have any good idea's let me know......... Jim

87, 6.9 diesel F250 4X4 Ford, 78 Wildnerness 30.5ft 5'er, just a country poorboy. Not top notch but still in the game. "Keep Your Stick On The Ice" (http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=lYcGJK)

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It
JRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2003, 12:18 PM   #2
JRW

I went deer hunting and took my 78 30ft Wilderness 5er and stayed in it for 3 days, the outside temp never got above 40F. At night the temp dropped down into the mid to upper 20's. I have only this 5er a little over a year and this is the first time I need the furnace. Here is the problem, the blower on the furnace runs on 12V's and it runs down my battery in about a day because the furnace ran so much. Where I was parked I was able to plug into elec and I did think to take my battery charger and was able to keep my battery charged but I am looking to run my furnace from a 12V sorce like some AC to DC power pack. I am not going to change out my furnace because it works too good so if anybody have any good idea's let me know......... Jim

87, 6.9 diesel F250 4X4 Ford, 78 Wildnerness 30.5ft 5'er, just a country poorboy. Not top notch but still in the game. "Keep Your Stick On The Ice" (http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=lYcGJK)

Old 12-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #3

Jim, It sounds as if your furnace satisfies your needs and the issue is the battery discharge your are experiencing. Some furnaces use around 4 to 5 amps when running, thus each hour of running would be a consumption of 4 to 5 amp-hours. If your furnace was running for 12 hours in the 24 hours of the day, that would be 48 to 60 amp-hours.
Compare this to half ( recommended level of discharging a battery ) of the amp-hours for which your battery is rated. This will give you a ball-park estimate of how long you should expect to be able to run your furnace.

Two possible approaches:
1. reduce the running of the furnace by
-a- set thermostat at not more than 63 when you are awake and present in the trailer,
-b- set thermostat at not more than 55 when you are asleep or away from the trailer.
2. increase your battery capacity by adding more batteries (see other threads about 6-volt pairs, golf-cart batteries and even solar discussions which often concern batteries).

You mention "AC to DC power pack" -- sounds to me like a "battery charger". Otherwise storage of electrical power is in a battery (unless you are converting fuel in a generator).

Hope this helps.

David
Signature Substitute

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know the wiring setup on your trailer but since you have access to "shore power," can you insert an inverter into your 12 volt system to carry the 12 volt requirements whenever you are plugged in?

Another thought is to use electric ceramic heaters to augment your propane furnace as long as you have outside power available.

'99 F250 PSD, 4x2, Auto (BTS Trans/TC) 3.73LS, Transfer Flow Tank
2002 SunnyBrook 27 FKS
Equal-i-zer
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:29 AM   #5

The battery should be charged from the trailer's ac to dc converter. Does your camper have one and is it functioning correctly?

Dodge 2001.9 2500 QC 4X4 LWB
SLT HO 6 Speed, 4.10 LSD. Jordan Brake Controller, Jacobs E-Brake.

Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications
RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights
Hunter Digital Thermastat Installation
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:48 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jim,

Along with the comment about your converter charging your battery, your converter should be rated at 30 - 40 amps minimum and when plugged into shore power provide the voltage and amperage necessary to run your furnace. You might want to verify the converter is working properly by turning on the 12v lights and then disconnect the battery from the trailer circuit. When plugged into shore power the lights should remain on. If they don't then your converter isn't working properly.

John

32' Coachmen Royal
99.5 PSD F-350 SC SRW SB 4X4 Woodland Green
Old 12-09-2003, 03:02 AM   #7
JRW

My trailer dose not have a converter and I am thinking of installing one. My trailer is an older one 78 model so I guess Wilderness did not think of installing one then.

jmerritt- I see you are from the Cincinnati area. I live near Lebanon.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:01 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
JRW,

I live in Evendale. I used to camp at Big Turtle all the time, was a member but got tired of waiting (15+ years) for them to upgrade the place. Have camped at Olive Branch a number of times but they have really upped the price. Like that Beechwood Acres over at Cowan Lake.

I would get a converter especially if you are going to be using that furnace.

John

32' Coachmen Royal
99.5 PSD F-350 SC SRW SB 4X4 Woodland Green
Old 04-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #9

Another consideration would be to augment your furnace with an Olympian catalytic heater which will reduce the amount of time your furnace is running. Olympians work at altitude when other brands will not. You'll need to run a propane line to the heater.
skicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
JRW, when I bought the Kencraft the 12V system was a battery charger continually charging the battery. I found on our first trip it would not run the furnace very long. I installed a 40 amp Intelli-Power converter along with the Charge Wizard and everything is now fine. Shop around, but the best price I found on a converter was www.bestconverter.com I was pleased with their service.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:49 PM   #11

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmerritt:
JRW,

I live in Evendale. I used to camp at Big Turtle all the time, was a member but got tired of waiting (15+ years) for them to upgrade the place. Have camped at Olive Branch a number of times but they have really upped the price. Like that Beechwood Acres over at Cowan Lake.

I would get a converter especially if you are going to be using that furnace.

John

32' Coachmen Royal
99.5 PSD F-350 SC SRW SB 4X4 Woodland Green[/QUOTE You all ever come oover to Huston Woods State Park, We go there alot since it's only about 8 miles from the house .Its really nice there, They've done alot of fixin up over the last 5 years and the camp host are very friendly.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #12

.....I added a pellet stove that runs off 12 vdc and 120vac....heat7500-32,000 BTU's.....uses outside air and has a flu all in one and will run you out of your trailer at full blast....50# bag of pellets is $3.00 and will last alll weekend...in the summer I put it into the garage....geofkaye