Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #1

Arrow I need some water pump help.....

I have an intermittent problem with the water pump. When the switch is turned on, idiot light illuminated, but pump is not working, I do the following:
Remove the monitoring panel on the fridge wall, confirm 12VDC across the switch, open a water tap but pump does not cut in. When I pull on the wiring harness all of a sudden the pump will start and continue to operate until it decides to quit again.
Is there a wiring connector somewhere under the fridge? I am thinking of running a new wire to the pump from the monitoring panel.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The wall switch usually operates a relay which in turn actually turns the pump on and off. Sounds like there may be a loose wire to the really and pulling on the harness makes a connection. If you have more than one pump on/off switch, there will be a relay in the circuit to make both switches work. However, there is usually a relay even with only one pump switch.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
The trouble can very often be where the neutral joins up with other neutrals on the way back to the negative terminal. No easy fix, but going slowly, one wire wiggled at a time might help. You need to figure out which wire is giving problems.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #4

Henry --- If you don't have them yet, go to the Winnebago forum on this site and they list the URLs to download the wiring diagrams. Get the wiring diagrams for your rig as they will show connectors, ect. Just guessing, but with the Winny there is a strong possibility there is NOT a relay, hence, the switch directly controls the pump, via what ever connectors exist between the switch and the pump.

Do you also have a switch in or near your dump station access door? If so per chance there is a connector near it that you are actually moving.

Anyway, the next time the pump fails to start, prior to pulling on the wires again you may want to go directly to the water pump and check to ensure you have 12VDC at the pump. The most likely failure mode is the actual pressure switch which is located on the pump. Over time the contacts on the pressure switch will build up carbon deposits from the arcing that occurs during on/off cycles. This causes the pump to intermittently fail to start. If the switch is bad I don't know if you can just buy a replacement switch or if you need to replace the entire pump.

I had a pump in the past the would not start at low pressure and the problem was the switch. For awhile it would start with just a slight tap on the pressure switch. Eventually that even failed so I installed a mometary contact push button switch in parallel with the pressure switch. Once the pump started then the pressure switch would function ok. I used it that way for years and never did replace the pump.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like a bad connection. YOu will have to trace the wires to find it
Old 06-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #6

If you have 2 switches (a common switch count for rv water pumps), then it is most likely a 3-way switch (more contacts to fail). Check the switch(es) also as they can go bad internally, such that movement will cure the problem. If the problem is internal switch contacts, you might be able to hear the arcing if you hold your ear close enough to the switch, and you might also be able to feel a sightly warm switch that is arcing internally.
My guess is the year of Winnie you have won't have a pump relay but the pump will be wired direct thru 12V switches.
You can probably buy a rebuild kit that includes impeller & pressure switch parts of the pump if that is the problem. Check @ mfgr's website.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #7

Thumbs up Water pump Help.....

Thanks to you all.

Today I downloaded the wiring digram from the Winnebago web site, with this I have a pretty good idea what to check.
It sure looks like the switch in the services compartment is the culprit, I will remove it and check out the functioning of it, if need be I will replace it. This unit was sitting more then it was on the road therfore oxidation of contacts is quite possible.

I will keep you posted,

Henry.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Henry, I am sorry I did not see your post until now. As promised in a reply to your PM to me, I am replying in the open forum. You have gotten excellent info and with the wiring schematic I am confident you will trace down the culprit and have it working properly in no time at all. Don't forget to have a good ground. Keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote