Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #1

I presume I need to install a thermal cutoff fuse on my water heater?

My camper has a 6 gallon Dometic propane/120v water heater, model number WH-6GEA. I was troubleshooting an issue with it and discovered that it does not appear to have a thermal cutoff fuse. I've seen online where this model has a thermal fuse installed on the left side T Stat connector. Mine does not have one at that location (compare photo of mine vs. youtube video starting about 56 seconds in).

I presume I need to install a fuse, but wanted to double check with you experts to make sure I'm not missing something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220917_085432[1].jpg
Views:	7
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	376684  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #2

Is it missing ...or is it hidden behind that bracket?

Thermal Fuse is meant to shutdown DC circuit if flame blowback should occur (one shot device blows at 190*F)

Dometic's new design places the thermal fuse between the combustion and exhaust chamber where heat can build up.
6 gal design has had issues with premature thermal fuse failures

Note: Suburban doesn't/never has used a thermal fuse only Atwood and now Dometic

Is it needed?
OEM has them.....but???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #3

Thanks. No, it's not hidden behind the bracket.

Interesting that not all water heaters have the fuse.

I've seen a couple of videos with people talking about the new Dometic heaters being prone to blowing thermal fuses. I'm wondering the person who assembled mine left it out for that reason, or if it was just an oversight, or maybe deliberate corner cutting.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:36 PM   #4

Atwood used one due to combustion chamber being directly below the circuit board
*Atwood used a diagonal combustion/exhaust 'U' tube

Suburban didn't use them .....combustion/exhaust chamber stacked and circuit board is on backside of WH tank

New Dometic relocated the electric element from backside to the front which required a stacked combustion/exhaust chamber in the center of unit
Circuit board is no longer directly above the combustion chamber but old design/components carry over
And as noted the 6 gal has issues with thermal fuse failures due to its location
*10 gal unit it is not directly above combustion chamber under that bracket but off to the side where heat doesn't build up

WH6GEA (smaller area/more jamb packed)

WH10GEA (spread out more open)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #5

My water heater blew the thermal fuse almost immediately and I had a tech check it out when I was servicing something unrelated. They went around to several trailers on their lot to check the wiring on the new units and none of them had the thermal fuse installed... but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there...
Old 10-03-2022, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV_Camper View Post
My water heater blew the thermal fuse almost immediately and I had a tech check it out when I was servicing something unrelated. They went around to several trailers on their lot to check the wiring on the new units and none of them had the thermal fuse installed... but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there...
Good to know. Sounds like either Dometic or the TT manufacturers are leaving the fuse out on purpose to eliminate nuisance trips.

Tags
fuse, heat, heater, install, water, water heater